FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:44:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Supra 5 Spd  (Read 4397 times)
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:51:09 PM »

Hi All,

I have a query about the various bellhousings available for fitting of Supra 5 spd to holden red 6.  I have a possibility of a 202/Supra box acquisition for implant in my FC Special Sdn.  The bellhousing has "commodore-supra" imprinted on top.  However, the clutch is cable operated (for the Commodore?), cable included.  I need to know, is this bellhousing adaptable to my need for a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder with off-the-shelf parts and brackets.....or do I need another more suitable bellhousing adaption for a simple, bolt-on trouble free installation?

cheers...Brad
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »

Brad,
check with Dellow Automotive  http://www.dellowauto.com.au  they produce all parts and kits for allmost any conversions.

regards
Weddo
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:16:10 PM »

Thanks Weddo,

Have looked at the Dellows catalogue and have seen that they "seem" to have a different casting for the cable and hydraulic clutch versions of the conversion to red Holden six...(is this correct, does anyone know for sure?)

I also looked at CRS catalogue and saw that their casting has two mounting points inside the bellhousing for pivots either side of the input shaft, with an extra kit required for the cable implementation. 

I guess my problem is (at this point) that I don't know whether its a Dellow or CRS bellhousing on the one I have a chance of getting hold of.  All I know is that it has COMMODORE-SUPRA stamped into the top of the bellhousing casting and has a cable clutch setup pivot and fork. 

cheers.....Brad
fe1957
qld-club

Model: FE

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »

This is testing my memory a bit however I think you can purchase a cast bracket that bolts to bellhousing to mount a slave cylinder instead of using the cable.
Sorry I can't be 100%
Grant

OFE570
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:16:54 AM »

i have put a couple of 5 speeds (celica steel case) on reds and they always used the hydraulic slave (from a grey motor).

on one particular application,we put a CRS cast bracket onto a Dellow housing and it fit with minor grinding.

again I cant tell you for sure, you would need to speak with Dellows for the safest answer.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:06:01 PM »

Hey Brad,
When I ordered my bell housing for my V6 Chev to 5 speed Supra conversion for my kit car, I was asked if I was going to use a cable or hydraulic set up and also if the clutch fork was on the left or right side. CRS is cast in the bell housing, I don't know about Dellow.
As far as I know my  CRS housing is stronger than other competitor housings due to extra ribs in the housing. Don't know if this applies to all housings.
Spoke to a mate that tried to convert from cable to hydraulic a few years ago using same housing. It didn't work too well because there wasn't a machined flat surface to mount the slave cylinder and he cut the casing that the cable went through. Result was one wasted housing. He doesn't recall the brand.

Seb

Yellow Knight

jfk

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:08:33 PM »

Ask Geoff Dellow. I recently picked his brains about a 5 Speed steel case I bolted to the V6 in my FC and he just loves to chat. He is an old Street Rodder from years back....one of the fathers of our sport. There are about 4 different types of boxes and with a little information he can identifiy it for you, talk clutches etc etc. Tell him "The President" said hi...JFK

JFK
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 10:56:37 PM »

Thanks all for your input....I'll get hold of the gearbox (I hope) and have a closer look at it to see which brand/type it actually is.  Then I can ask the needed questions of the folks you've mentioned to see if I can get the necessary bits for the hydraulic clutch.

cheers....Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: