FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:28:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windscreen Wiper Overun  (Read 3380 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »

Does anyone have a solution to the windscreen wipers running off the edge of the screen and damaging the stainless trim? The wipers are electric.
Cheers,
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »

Worn pivots and bushes are a common cause, does it overrun when dry or only when wet?
If it only overruns when wet then it is worn parts. If it overruns when dry then this would imply that the arms are being pushed too far by the motor. You can shorten the small drive arms by 3 or 4 mm to limit the travel.

Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:03:43 PM »

Thanks Ken,
Can these parts be purchased anywhere?
Cheers,
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:27:38 PM »

This is a general response to faults with wiper motor linkages and can be used by all owners of cars with electric wipers. The first thing to check is the bushes that are attached to the ends of the long internal wiper arms. In FE FC these are rubber and don't last long with an electric wiper motor. This could be a major contributor to an overrun  problem, the fix is to put EK bushes into the FC arms as these are nylon and will last very well. Add a little grease as this will lubricate all the rotating parts. The second common wear point on FE FC inner arms is the junction where the arm joins the shaft where it goes through the body. If the joints here are particularly loose then you will need to source a good second hand one - NOS ones are pretty scarce. Once again oil in this area is essential for ease of action and long life.  While the arms are out of the car you should try to get some oil into the shaft area itself where it slides through the alloy base as this has a bronze bush inside which also goes dry after 50 years of service. It is quite hard to get oil into these bushes from the top when the arms are installed in the car.
Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:31:45 PM »

Thanks once again Ken. Are the EK bushes available?
Cheers,
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 01:09:49 AM »

Not that I know of, you can remove them from s/h EK arms or they are not too difficult to have made.

Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:11:06 AM »

Thanks Ken,
I picked up an EK arm with bush tonight from Fast Eddie( thanks Ed).
Cheers,
Graham
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:12:21 AM by graham_fuller » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: