FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 04:18:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Twin Strommies on 186  (Read 10575 times)
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:05:37 PM »

Hi All.

A mate of mine has just fitted a twin X2 Stromberg type setup on a standard 186 and he is having problems with it running too rich.

He lives 2 1/2 hours from me so hard for me to go and have a look and I have never fiddled with X2 setups and am not familiar with how to modify the carbs to get them running effectively.

He is running a pair of BXUV-2 ,  1 3/32 carbs. I can only assume they are as fitted on a 138/149/161 Standard Red motor and are setup as they left the Holden factory.
He bought them "as is " on evilbay and the bloke told him they were from a running motor and were running fine ( no I don't believe that statement nor does my mate !!  )
I'd assume that fitting smaller main jets/ adjustable main jets would be a start and if so what size should I search for to start with??

Venturi Restrictors??

Pump plunger adjustment??

Anything else??

If anyone is running these carbs on a twin setup on a similar size standard or lightly modded Red Motor and doesn't mind giving up their carburetter setup and tuning secrets then could they help me out.

I've only ever used Holley and Weber Carbs on Modified Red Sixes years ago so am very much an amateur when it comes to  how to correctly setup Twin Strombergs and tune them to run properly, hence this post.

Any referals to someone who could help would also be appreciated as well.

Anyone know whether adjustable main jets are still available and where?

All constructive help very much appreciated.

Regards,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:33:38 AM »

I'd assume that fitting smaller main jets/ adjustable main jets would be a start and if so what size should I search for to start with??

Use 46's, possibly 50's if its a modified engine. American Autos in Sydney have adjustable jets available, but I found that they leaked.

Main jets will be a good start, set the linkages up so they are balanced and then use the mixture screws to set the idle mixture. Screw in until stumble, screw out until stumble, and then screw in until smooth. A manifold vacuum gauge will make this more accurate.

Grab a HD/HR manual and it will have full carby details of the factory setup.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:42:45 AM by craiga » Logged
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 01:27:19 AM »

Thanks Craig,

Haven't got a GMH  HD/HR  manual but have a Gregory's FX to HR one.

It lists the standard main jet for 149/161 as a 55  so if my mate's carbies are running 55's or bigger then that may explain at least some of the running rich problem.

If not I'll have to look elsewhere, maybe adjustable main jets if I can get some but I'd say a dyno would be needed to get them running correctly.

Tried to look up American Autos for adjustable mains/replacement mains but only some of their site is working.It mentions adjustable jets but no mention of availability, maybe a phone call is needed.

My mate is bringing the twin carb setup here on Saturday ( off the car at present ) so will do a post mortem on the carbs then and see if the linkages are opening the butterflys in unison equally.

Anyone else have any hints or ideas to add to Craigs help ??.

Regards,

Terry.

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:29 AM »

IMHO after lengthy experience with Italian twin carb systems, once you've checked simple stuff like, the dissy is operating properly, carby float levels are correct etc., the best way to sort this, is on a dyno

It saves guess work and will reveal other problems if they're there.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:13:30 AM »

Thanks John for the reply.

Yep, I always start at the simple and cheap to repair items and go up in ascending order from there.

Helps with time management and the hip pocket as well!!.

Terry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: