FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:34:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch master cylinder troubles  (Read 5566 times)
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »

I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder on my fc sedan, so I figured I might as well put a kit through the master cylinder (original) while I was at it. but when I got it all back together & put on, it started leaking on the inside of the cabin  Angry.
I thought I might have put something in backwards, so I dissasembled it all again & checked, but everythings ok.
Put it back on, & same again  Angry Cry Angry.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers,
Moon.
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

Took it apart for a third time now, to show a friend & make sure everything was where it should be. He agreed everything was right, put it back together & put it on, & stuff me, no freakin leaks Huh.
BUT.........
Now I have other dramas with clutch pedal!!!!!! Angry
After bleeding the lines, my clutch pedal is so freakin HARD & HEAVY to push down, it's ridiculous! Angry
Anyone got any ideas as to what's happening now? I considered getting a totaly new reco master cylinder to put on but don't want to realy do it incase it doe's the same thing.
I hope someone out there can shine some light on this one for me.
Cheers,
Moon.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »

Hi Moon,
From your discription it sounds like the flexible hose between the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder has deteriorated and needs replacing.
Hope this helps,
Regards ACE  Cool
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »

Hello Moon
                Here's a pic from the bible I hope it helps.

What's the bore inside the cyl look like? The rubber cap might be binding in there. I get a stainless  sleeve put in all my clutch and brake parts .Most good brake shops can do it . Ace is probably on the money with the hose. A later model hose fits straight up and goes from master cyl to slave . HR I think. Also has a larger I/D so you can realy dump the clutch  Grin  Another cause could be the alignment or tension on the return spring but if you haven't  touched it then it's probably not the cause.
                            Brad
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 09:34:49 PM by BRAD » Logged

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »

Agree with ACE. Pull the flexible line off and see if you can blow air through it.
Also check that a small piece of rubber hasn't broken away on the inside of the flexible line and blocked off or partly blocked off the connection between flexible line and slave cylinder ( happened to me ).
A blocked or partly blocked line will build up substantial pressure in the system and if there is a restriction the pressure  has to go somewhere so that may have also accounted for the leak back past the seals in the master cylinder particularly if it has some wear in it.
If the master cyl is  worn too much putting new seals in is only a bandaid fix as its a bit like putting new rings in a worn out motor.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:28:56 AM »

Terry wrote

Also check that a small piece of rubber hasn't broken away on the inside of the flexible line and blocked off or partly blocked off the connection between flexible line and slave cylinder ( happened to me ).

Same with me only it worked the other way around. I could push the clutch in easy but it would take about three minutes to come back out. I was about 1200 miles from home in the middle of N.S.W and used a HR? clutch line from a wreck as the one pub town GMH dealer had nothing in stock.

Is the flexible clutch line interchangable with the flexible brake lines ?
    Brad.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:34:21 AM by BRAD » Logged

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:32:39 AM »

I believe a brake line could be used for the clutch line although it would be a bit long.  I have a new clutch hose here for $25. That's new new, not NOS

Ken
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »

That's actually a very good price from Ken.Their a lot dearer than that to buy elsewhere.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:34:48 PM »

Hi fellas, thanks heaps for the advice, I'll look at trying to get a replacement line.
Hey Ken (mcl1959) , if you still have that clutch hose, I'll take it for that price  Wink. Will send you a pm.
Thanks again everyone, will let you know how things turn out,
Cheers,
Moon.  Wink
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »

Well, all's finaly sorted out now, thanks to my neighbour giving me a line off a HR. Put it on an works a treat! Grin
Thanks heaps Ken (mcl1959)  Wink, for the hose you sent me, I have put this away for time being, until needed.
Thanks again everyone for all your help & input,
Cheers,
Moon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: