FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Buick V6 conversion  (Read 5436 times)
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2002, 07:54:56 AM »

Hi guys and girls,
just wondering if anybody has done a buick V6 conversion,and if so how did it go compared to say VN commodore running gear.Was going to put red motor and 4speed but thought of V6 after someone offered me a Buick V6 recent reco for $800 with loom.
Never attempted a conversion of this calibre,so just asking for ideas at the moment.Not really wanting
Hadfield chassis kit so ideas there are gratefully accepted Grin.Thanx guys BRAD.....

1959 Black Std sedan
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 08:14:57 AM »

a friend of mine is doing this exact thing at the moment (supercharged). the supercharged buick v6 is what they put in the commodores i think? everything is pretty much the same as the holden v6 i think, but speaking with him would get you a lot of helpful info. private message me your email address and i'll pass it on to him if you are interested.

simon
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 10:59:28 PM »

I am under the assumption,that the Buick v6 has less cubic inches than the holden v6,thus making it a little easier for rego.Can anyone shed some light on this please. Thanx Smiley  BRAD.......

1959 Black Std sedan
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 03:01:12 AM »

G'day Brad,

I have been warned about the Buick V6 about some of the parts for it not being readily available compared to the commodore V6... I could not tell you the difference as I have the commodore V6... Originally I thought that they were the exact same motor. Maybe the advice i received was flawed but it may just take a few questions to confirm or deny it.

Regards
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 04:14:04 AM »

Whatever the cc's of the Buick vs the Commodore v6, the difference in power of either compared to the grey will mean the same requirements for rego., and are probably the same as if you fitted a v8?

HARKO
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 09:51:22 AM »

Buick / Comm are the same engine and capacity.
VN is a Holden badged Buick engine.
A SGO said its all the same for rego although the Horsepower from a Buick V6 Supercharged is 300HP/225KW (VN - VR)
And the Holden Supercharged v6 has 171 KW (Ecotec VS Commodore on).

Quoted from (Jonesy) A very reliable source - Blown Buick in LJ Torrie 300HP .
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 01:25:04 AM »

Thanx all 4 your feedback.
BRAD..

1959 Black Std sedan
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2002, 11:54:55 AM »

Hi Brad.  I thought I'd give you a bit of info on what I've found out about the Buick V6.  From what you have said it's hard to tell what model/year/type the V6 is that you are talking about.  I did alot of research/time into the v6 motors before purchasing one.  I purchased a 20'000 km, 3.8L( which is the same as Commodore) supercharged Buick v6 97 model(vs-vt eqivalent).From what I found out was that these american motors are set up as front wheel drives, so therefore there are alot of things on motor that need changing for it to fit into FC or any other rear wheel drive car.(can give you more exact details if required)  You can then buy from Holden or V6 conversions the necessary parts to turn this Buick motor into a Commodore spec motor,( around $1800) which is what Holden do before fitting them to their commodores.
I was set on a S/C v6 & looked around for months for a wrecked S/charged commodore but with no luck. This would have been a much easier/cheaper option but as said I had to go the other option.
With this said the V6 Buick motor you have could have also been set-up for front wheel drive as mine was.Let us know.    
Hope this helps in some way. Good Luck  Wink Grin

Harko- Are you sure your mate has a s/charged vn-vr motor. If it is it must have an aftermarket s/charger set-up, because as far as I'm aware the factory blown motors didn't come out till VS model. That's some awesome power 225 KW more than the eqivalent V8 Shocked
Miikael
HARKO
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 12:01:31 PM »

Mikael , He has a buick in his Torana and he talked as I typed but after taking another squizz you're right on the (vn - vr ) is obviously wrongly positioned ,Drop it down a line into the holden area
:-/  Sorry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: