FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Adjustable Boot Spring Posts  (Read 76261 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:24:43 PM »

Have you got a "Nasco Broomstick"?  Not game to stick your head into the boot?  Read on...

Members of the FE-FC HCC of NSW have designed a new "adjustable boot spring post".  These were once commonly sold in spares shops (although never a GM-H replacement part TTBOMK), to repair broken or fatigued boot spring posts.

The other benefit of the adjustable springs is that the special spring tensioning tool is not required, and boot springs can be refitted without risk of losing skin or a finger.

Most of these original style adjustables are fairly unattractive, with a large bolt head showing through the boot strut pressing.  The design philosophy of this new unit was to produce something that would be as inconspicuous as possible.  Once in place, with a lick of paint, these bolts should be almost indistinguishable from the original post pressing.

The bolt and nut are made of Grade 5 hi-tensile steel, and the kit includes matched star washers (not shown).  Note that this is not a standard coach-head bolt that has been cut down, but a custom manufactured item.  The prototype has been fitted for several months in one of the members' vehicles, and has proved quite successful.  The kit will fit FE-EK sedans, including early FE models with 1/2" springs.

Various images of the unit, showing the special bolt and narrow nut.

Unit fitted to a car, prior to painting.

Price for a kit (pair of bolts, nuts, washers and fitting instructions) should be approximately $35, and a bulk order price for clubs will be available.  Of course, volume dictates the cost price, so we are gauging interest via the forum.

Let us know what you think.  Would you buy one or two sets of these at the indicated price?

We expect these to be available within a month or so of confirming quantities.

[ Edit: bolt/nut are hi-tensile, not hardened as previously written ]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:58:05 AM by RET » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:15:14 AM »

Very neat unit, RET, and a good price.

Might I suggest drilling the end of the bolt so a washer and cotter pin can be placed over the spring to stop it sliding iff - which could be real scarry  Shocked

I'll advertise them in the SA club newsletter (we don't have many who have internet access).

Martin

(I've got a set of the not-so-pretty ones)

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:09:15 AM »

Martin,

This was suggested by someone in our club as well, and we may end up doing it.

The original adjustable had this, but the factory fixed pin did not, and the consensus was that it really wasn't necessary.  It could be that the split pin was as much about stopping the legs of the bolt from flaring as locking the spring in place.  The original ones were only mild steel, generally.

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.  I can supply some higher res photos of the prototype for club magazines, too.  Send me an email if you want them.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »

Cool
Ret

I think they are a great idea, and yes, at that price, I would put a set in "DAD56H" (Who, incidently appeared in the latest issue of "Just Holden" mag in the article on the" All Holden Day" 06) just to save the fingers.

Cheers Rusty
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »

Guys,

Thanks everyone who responded in the poll.

The first batch of boot spring posts are ready, so if you were one of the people who were after a set, send me a private message and we can take it from here.

First in, best dressed.  Or best sprung, as it were  Grin

cheers
RET

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 06:17:14 AM »

To those who were after a set of these posts, I have them available again.  (The first batch sold out in a bit over a week).

Send me an email or PM to order your set.  As previously mentioned, the kit contains a pair of pins, star washers, nuts and fitting instructions.  Price is $35, plus $5 p&p (they're quite heavy).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

cheers
RET

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:28:57 PM »

I have only a few of these kits left.  Send me a PM or an email if you're interested in a set.

cheers
RET

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 06:24:34 PM »

Just giving this thread a bounce, as I should have a new batch of these next week. Send me a PM if you're interested in a set.

cheers
RET

itb
sa-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »

I've just recently installed one new post. It works well and is easy to adjust.
However, it was very hard to get the old post out as it didn't break as suggested.
I felt the post was too short as the spring hung over it a little, and the thread length
could be 5mm longer too. (There was a 6mm spacer welded on the "chassis" so I had
to file it down to fit the new nut) I made a brass bush to take up the slack between the
12.5mm post and 16mm hole in the rod. (works well) My original post was 16mm
in diameter not 12.5 like the new one. I have a late 59 model.

I may explain this in more detail later.

ITB
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »

I'm glad you got the pin in and with any luck that will be the last cracked scone from a falling boot-lid you suffer Wink

The 'spacer' you refer to is part of the pin, and had the original pin broken off as it usually does, this would have come away with it. Take that out of the equation, and the pin is more than long enough.

Here is one of the replacement pins alongside the one that came out of my FE:

The blue-coloured area is the dome that shows from inside the boot. 1 Pic = 1000 Words and all that.

By the way, I now have these available. Send me a PM if you'd like a set.

cheers
RET

julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »

Hi Richard

Would you be able to bring 2 sets to grey pride plus a poster for me.

Much appreciated

Kind regards

Julius
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »

A new batch of these pins has been made, so I have plenty for anyone wishing to purchase a set.

Unfortunately the production costs have steadily risen over the last few years, and I've had to adjust the price accordingly.

A kit with 2 adjustable pins, nuts and washers, plus fitting instructions is now $40 plus $6 postage.

Thanks for your support.

cheers
RET

GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »

Hi Richard, is there any chance of getting a pair sent to me?
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »

Absolutely. Check your PMs Wink

I have quite a few sets if anyone else is interested.

RET

pommy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

I am intersted in the adjustable boot spring posts if you are still producing them. How much do they cost now? Do you have any pictures of the spring and what is your contact number? Pommy 0417849513.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

I've run out of these at the moment, but am looking into getting some more made. Watch this space for availability....

You'll have to have your own spring(s), this device replaces the post that the spring goes onto.

Thanks for the interest.

cheers
RET

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »

Just an update - I expect to have stock of these again within a fortnight, so I'm in a position to accept orders now and will ship them as soon as they are available.

Unfortunately the cost of manufacture has gone up, so the price of the kit will be $44 plus $6 postage.

Send me a PM to discuss banking details etc.

Thanks for your interest.

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »

The pins are now back in stock, please send me a PM to order a set.

BLOK

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »

Thanls Ret pm sent
Steve Jackson

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »

Hi Ret, what a great invention!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Greg.

PM sent.

Steve

Factory Paint FB and EK's wanted.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: