FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 03, 2024, 02:31:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door locks  (Read 3129 times)
sgo

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2002, 04:19:59 AM »

On my 59FC the keys/barrel operate such that they can be used to unlock the doors, but not to lock them, which can only be done by pushing the door button down.
Is this the way stock fc's are supposed to be?Huh??

gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 05:16:09 AM »

nope. not on mine anyway, and not on the eh and ej that i have owned. they should work like any lock does
« Last Edit: September 13, 2002, 05:16:34 AM by gree » Logged

simon
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 05:24:13 AM »

Something's not right there.  Despite it being much more common to push the button down, you should still be able to lock the door with the key.  Having said that, the passenger door on my car is much stiffer to lock with the key than the driver's side, but I've always just put that down to the comparative lack of use.  When you've got bucket seats and a floor-shift you don't tend to slide across from the passenger's side too often Lips sealed

Can you take the barrel out and operate the lock mechanism with a screw-driver?  That will at least tell you where the problem is.

hth,
RET
« Last Edit: September 13, 2002, 05:25:31 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 08:42:06 AM »

With the barrel out of the doors, the doors internal mechanism works as it should, and as with Rets', the passenger side is a bit stiffer than the drivers' side.
But as for the barrel part, from the central position the key will only turn the lock one way, eg to open the door, but not the other way to lock it!(apart from turning back to the central position.)
At least now I know that that's not normal so It'll keep me busy over the weekend!
Thanks.

Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 10:50:42 AM »

G'Day SGO,

I had the same problem with the passenger door of my car, I washed the barrel in degreaser and dried it out then worked some graphite in to it untill it freed up.
But it sounds odd that both doors are doing it, may be the key is worn.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 13, 2002, 10:52:41 AM by digger » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: