FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:54:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FRONT SUSPENSION  (Read 2974 times)
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:25:34 PM »

G'day, Starting to re assemble the FC 219, has anyone recently installed an original front suspension?

I've mixed up my tubular shims, I have 2 red & 2 yellow.

In the book it lays out the assembly procedure & torque settings but I would prefer to fit them the way they were 1st.

Gary
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:49:08 PM »

Hi Gary,
The manual calls for the shorter ones to be at the front.  The starting point at the factory is White shims to rear, Black shims to the front.
They also supply other colours to adjust the tension when the shims dont bed to initial setting, they are:-
Red @ 19.80mm
Yellow @ 18.28mm
Green @ 16.76mm
Blue @ 15.24mm
Thus you should start by inserting Red to the Back and Yellow to the Front.  After all is bedded with the engine in and fully weighted vehicle you could then test the tensions as per the manual.
Cheers,
Geoff_K
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »

Thanks Geoff, but the black & white items are the spacers not the shims.

I have the spacers in the correct locations, as for the colour coded shims, I ended up putting the red to the front & the yellow at the rear.

As you suggest, Ill review it when the donks in & I've bounced around in it a bit.
Ta, Gary
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:55:57 PM »

Hi Gary,
Bit slack on my details, revised as

The manual calls for the shorter ones to be at the front.  The starting point at the factory is White spacers to rear, and Black spacers to the front.
Factory fitted shims in other colours are to adjust the tension. Should the factory setting shims not bed to correct tension, alternate shims were specified:-
Red @ 19.80mm
Yellow @ 18.28mm
Green @ 16.76mm
Blue @ 15.24mm
After all is bedded with the engine in and fully weighted vehicle you could then test the tensions as per the manual.
Hopefully you guessed correctly on the shims.
Cheers,
Geoff_K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: