FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Nev's tidy up  (Read 56219 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 03:40:33 AM »

All the die cast parts, except the tailamp surrounds and rear quarter badges were sent to the platers in Queenbeyan on Monday. The trimmer has the door trims for new cards to be made and I will take some of the Tilli molds for repair next week.

did you need a  bank loan for that?

TAYZ
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 10:43:26 AM »

Good progress John, Ol Nev will feel like hes been to the barber, had a hair cut and a shave and walk out with a big smile on his face!! Cool  The chrome plater down here (2 places) refuses to plate die cast.  I really had to talk him around to do my horn ring, cheers

tayz
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »

Hi all.

Nev will be back from the painter next week, he looks great Grin

The plater did a sensational job on what were less than first rate die cast pieces, particularly the headlamp rims. I deliberately gave them my worst ones. The platers are Electro Plating Technology at Queanbeyan - ask for Shane or Brett  6297 - 0535 - 12 month warranty, they told me to send back anything I wasn't happy with and returned it all when they said they would Cool They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

I sent some of the Tilli molds off for repair, these are now finished and the new door cards are done.

I will post some photos soon.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »

John sounds great. Just out of interest how much did they charge to do the headlight rims?
Cheers,
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »

See how good the bottom of the A pillar is?  Generally this area is very rusty on most cars without the rust proofing treatment.

Ken
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 10:18:29 PM »

Graham, pm sent.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 05:32:06 AM »

Hi everyone.

Collected Nev today. The repairs and some off colour panels have been expertly dealt with by Glenn Alderson of Hughes and Gibson at St Marys. The job is superb, as you can see.

We also had the Tilli molds on both front gaurds repaired - I missed a few on the doors with small dents in them, we will take them off for repair after Grey Pride.

Now we have to put the rechromed bits back on and finish the interior. I'll keep you, er, posted.

Cheers
John

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 06:51:50 AM »

Very nice John,now I know why you asked about the continental kit. Smiley

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

Hey John...

Nev's come up a treat...!! He looks great!!

Are you going to leave the visor off now...? Looks like the holes are gone....

Cheers
Les...

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »

Looking forward to checking out the workmanship at Grey Pride. Looks sweet from the pics.
Regards
Alex

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 08:10:32 PM »

Hi John,

Nev's looking really nice.  Panels look good. I see you're going for the Miss Behavin' look there minus the front bar.

who did your stainless repairs?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 10:14:32 PM »

Thanks Guys.

Les; We didn't fill the holes in, Nev will ride again with his hat on Grin

Ed; Mould repairs were by Allan McCoy of Moulding Repairs and Polishing at Kingswood  Tongue Phone no is 024731 1239.

They are not cheap, but as always, you get what you pay for.

Cheers
John

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »

John,

Nev looks great, can't wait to see the car in person.

cheers
RET

PS - If you're reading this, GET BACK INTO THE GARAGE!  Grey Pride is tomorrow, you know Grin

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »

Missed Grey Pride, will settle down now and detail Nev properly.

A mate is going to reinforce the original plastic seat surrounds- believe it or not they're undamaged- with fiberglass. I'll also remove that bloody piece of metal near the seat adjuster on the drivers side that both wrecks the plastic surrounds and tears the seat Angry

Cheers
John

Johns

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »

Hi everyone.

Taking on board Ed's rant, I thought I should provide an update on progress on Nev - now that I've got my very rare Teal over Elk Blue car sorted. Work didn't actually stop on Nev, it sort of accelerated. Y'see the engine bay looks like this;

or at least it used to, before it was blasted and the small amount of paint left on the engine disappeared along with that on the inner guards. I was going to ignore this except that the two small firewall cover plates that "seal" the steering column are rusty and can only be accessed when the floor mat is out, so, we removed them.... Grin

If you think things are getting out of control, you're right Undecided I'm not going to remove the subframe or even split the guards to remove the grille as there are too many consequences. All the ancillaries will be stripped recoed and painted, all the relevent nuts bolts washers and brackets will be bright zinc coated ( I know it isn't quite correct but it looks nearly the same as silver cad but is much more durable). To get a good finish all parts have been sand blasted, we will also plate some of the parts that will be black as this will help hinder rust coming through.

We are going to pressure wash the front end and lower firewall and paint only the parts that can be seen with satin two pack to replicate chassis black.

We also need to paint the engine

Not a bad idea since it has bugger all on it. Before that we will replace clutch, timing gear, water pump, thermostat, welsh plugs and gaskets, so hopefully we won't have to disturb the nice new paint job.

The grille is now to be chromed, we need to reco the carby, check the regulator etc, etc.

Cheers
John

craiga
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »

etc, etc

You left off an 'etc' or two......

Take a big mouthful and chew like buggery  Wink

Nev is worth the effort, a particularly nice car and in a good colour combination.

Johns

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »

Hi everyone.

Nev's tidy up continues, the engine bay is painted, all the plating and powder coating is done, the engine is bring rebuilt, I'll post some photos soon.

In the meantime I've been doing some little jobs on various parts of the car. One of them is that I finally got round to looking at my gauges. As seems to be the case with a number of these the print on the fuel and idiot gauge faces has sort of gone to a blob and faded almost away, like this;

Last year I bought the insert John Wanner supplies for the fuel gauge. I've just finished intalling it and cleaning the gauge up. It worked a treat, here's the finished fuel gauge. Sorry about the flare from the flash.

From memory John sells these for about $10 each.

Cheers
John

TAYZ
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »

John while the engine is out, how about a big cam, some port work on the head, a set of tripples and headers for Nev, he will love it.  I also think he wants you to drop him about 4 inches to the ground!!!!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Grin Grin  (In all honesty though its looking real good, and at the last nats it was one of my favourite cars there)
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »

Thanks Paul and congratulations on the new arrival  Smiley

Our daughter, Jess, has just got her Ls. Scary stuff, only because time moves so quickly. She's learning on a manual and I've told her that she can't go for her licence until she can drive the old Holdens competently. I reckon when she can steer them she can drive anything. Except perhaps the Buick, but we'll see Cool

I couldn't modify Nev, you blokes have done so well on your cars I wouldn't know where to start Huh

Cheers
John

Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »

HI John,

Nev looks great,

The gauge labels are they an overlay or a complete new transparent lens? Huh

Cheers
John

Better in Green
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up