FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 03, 2024, 04:25:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HK MONARO...its only money  (Read 7498 times)
v8 wagon

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »

This is a copy of the newspaper report

How a Gympie man's 1968 Monaro, with just 79,334 miles put on the clock, fetched a record $220,000

By NATHAM WOULFE FOR the princely sum of $220,000, you could drive off in a new Porsche 911 Carrera.
Or start a fleet of new Holdens, one for each day of the week.

But in Sydney on Sunday, $220,000 secured the keys to a 1968 Holden HK Bathurst Monaro GTS 327 coupe which for the last 38 years had called Gympie home.

Wave Darlington bought the car from Madill¡¦s Gympie on November 6, 1968, and as the sole owner racked up a tiny 79,334 miles in 38 years.

"I bought it for about $3900," Wave said. "Being a Bathurst model there were a couple of little extras, like reclining seats.

"When they came out, they were all taken pretty quickly.

Despite the car's history spanning four decades, Wave said the decision to sell wasn't overly difficult.

"I'm in my 60s, retirement age. I didn't want to keep it forever. It's a nice little nest egg."

The car was used daily until being put into storage in the late 1970s. Years later it was recommissioned, and has been driven only sparingly since.

"I drove it until 1977, and then put it up on blocks in the shed. I did miles in it like that, on blocks, just to keep the engine and brakes running," Wave said.

Before hitting the show circuit in 1985, Wave had the paint touched up. Since then, the Monaro has not seen a drop of rain.

A pre-auction estimate put the mint Monaro¡¦s value at up to $130,000, but the hammer fell at $220,000 following a spirited bidding war between two motor enthusiasts.

The iconic vehicle will now call Western Australia home.

Shannons National Auction Manager Christophe Boribon said the sale cemented vintage Australian muscle cars as authentic collectables.

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 10:58:09 AM »

Amazing!

Regards
Alex

craiga
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »

Commodities, not cars.

This Monaro, like most late 60's - 70's muscle cars, are like apartments or shares, to be bought and sold for profit, and not driven. Bit sad that the best ones may end up hidden away, not seen OR heard, but it also means that for the forseeable future they will be treasured and protected from damage.

With these muscle cars its the normal supply vs. demand equation, but will even a fraction of this money ever move to FE/FC? The next 5-10 years will show. Will be interesting to watch.

Cheers,

Craig.
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »

This Monaro, like most late 60's - 70's muscle cars, are like apartments or shares, to be bought and sold for profit, and not driven

Not always Craig, not always...  Wink
craiga
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »

I stand corrected Edward, I know of a few of examples that get a VERY good workout  Grin

Who'd have thought?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:23:58 PM by craiga » Logged
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 09:41:51 AM »

Roadtrip to Tumut, November 2005

Quote of the trip:

[Craig Alderson at servo near Berrima on the freeway filling up 36 gallon HO tank. Next to it is the Shelby. Both cars are covered with bugs and dust. MG Car Club pulls into servo and Craig is approached by an elderly gentleman in a tweed jacket...]

MG Man: "Good afternoon, are you out on some sort of club run?"

Craig: "No mate, we've just been to Tumut, Cooma and Canberra. We've been flogging the crap out them..."

[MG Man is speechless, turns on his heels and retreats to safety of MG TC admirers]

So no more talk of collectables in sheds please Craig... Wink
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 10:48:14 AM »

Classic American Muscle in typical Aussie landscape.....sweet.
I think Carol would be proud.
Thanks for sharing the pic.
Regards
Alex

craiga
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »

We have a winner :-)

This one takes the cake!!! But only for a little while I reckon.

http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/about_auction_news_view.php?article=89

A new auction record was set with the sale of lot 16, a superbly restored original Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III.  The car sold for $683,650 (including buyer's premium).

Geez, you could buy 50 VERY good FC's for that, or at least 75 FE's. What was this guy thinking ;-)

Cheers,

Craig.

tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:18:39 AM »

Man I thought houses where getting ridicules but this takes the cake all right. I am a Revhead and love my cars but no way even if I had that sort of money.

I can't wait to see what tops that Cheers Tommo
fc_clint_nz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:31 AM »

There is one for sale here in NZ the top bid is 211k he wants 230k it has eleven bids on at the moment, thats huge dollars maybe my fc will be worth that much one day. Grin
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 06:52:32 AM »

In 1981 I had a XY GS ute  full  FACTORY  optioned, spoiler ,over riders , spots, bonnet clips , clock ,gauges, trim , tall geared diff , 3 V heads and 860 holly. It got 3 or 8 mpg depending on the throttle usage. Would break the state speed limit in first gear (65mph) Grin
Looked just like the red one but was green with gold stripes
Also came with no back window and a chooks nest on the passenger side floor with three eggs Smiley I have to wonder what that old $2000 ute would be worth now Shocked
       Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: