FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 03, 2024, 02:30:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: GETTING OIL STAINS OF REAR SEAT  (Read 1994 times)
minifcvan
« on: October 23, 2006, 01:17:06 AM »

Hi all,

Ive just brought a fc sedan and its had motor oil on the back seat at some time.Ive used a mixture of jiffy and ajax to get most of it of,has anyone got any sugestions how to get the stubborn stains out?? cheers mark

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:18:25 AM by minifcvan » Logged
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:26:10 AM »

to remove grease and oil stains you use a solvent, then maybe clean over the area with a mild detergent very diluted, even a wet chamois is better than nothing but dont get detergent in your chamois if you want to use it again.
A solvent like white spirits or prepsol.  prepsol dries quicker so I would probably use white spirit, I try not to let chemicals soak into the seems in the pleats as the stitching is getting old, dont use thinners and try not to scrub harsh chemicals in too much.
if you dont have prepsol or white spirit you can use kero but it can be a bit smelly.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:52:51 AM »

Be very careful with anything too harsh or abrasive as it will ruin the vinyl by fading it, perishing it and spliting it  or all of the previous. You could try a real tight close nail brush with Dissoll a vinyl cleaner. Use it neat and apply with the brush srubbing hard and in a circular motion repeat and repeat and repaet it is time consuming and hard work but it will work. Wipe off residue with a hot cloth and make sure all residue is removed. Let dry and observe if still not gone i would try leaving it on neat for 30min block and then scubbing and wiping. Depends also how keen you are to keep the original look and qulality of the vinyl.
Good luck
Brett

Brett Gillard
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 08:25:39 AM »

I'd say try the white spirits, first on an inconspicous spot first to make sure it doesn't damage the old vinyl.
I use it on new vinyl to get wax pencil markings off.

Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

Mark
      The FC manual says to use led free petrol  and a clean cloth to remove stubborn oil stains, clean up with another rag saturated in lukewarm suds, rinse off soap with clean rag and cold water.
  The top of the rear seat on my FB was dry and brittle due to sun damage and I regularly wiped it down liberally with (Jonsan's Baby Oil )  After several weeks it became supple again. It also cleaned it to some extent and revived the colour and sheen. And like Stinky says be sure to try a small out of the way spot first just in case.
  Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: