FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:25:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Matching Old Paint  (Read 2321 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2006, 06:51:48 AM »

Hi Everyone

I know there have been a few paint questions of late but here goes anyway. I have recently bought a 1957 FE that still has its original paint work. It is definitely looking a bit tired and there is some fading and a few thin spots, particularly on the roof. Colours are Teal Blue (253-7478) over Elk Blue (253-7481). I would like to make the sun visor colour match the roof. Is it folly to even try to match them at this stage or are there a few tricks that may get it looking reasonably close? And would I better to use an acrylic or 2 pack? At the moment the visor is Elk Blue and to me it just does not look right. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ken.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:04:05 AM »

Ken, this is difficult because the original paint is nitrocellulose lacquer which takes on an increasing chalky effect without frequent polishing.  Whilst you will be able to match the paint colour (acrylic would be preferable) it will continue to look different over time without constant polishing.  Especially on a dark colour.

Regards  Ken
the_love_god

DARK & STORMY

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »

Hi to help you ring Protec 96035655 ring them and give them these code 7478 for teal blue  7481 for Elk blue ask for marie there colour are 100% spot on ,cheers AlfioM
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 11:38:17 PM »

Thanks fells. Ken you are spot-on about the chalky appearance of the current paint work. I was hoping there might be a few tricks to tone down or dull the newly painted look. Perhaps using a very fine wet & dry or something similar after the paint dries?? I know its never going to match entirely but even to get close would do as the car is unrestored and certainly has some imperfections!!

I will also ring Protec and talk to them too, Alfio - thanks for the contact details.

Best regards..Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »

You can get flattener to add to acylic paint to take the shine off, I had the painter add some to the black on my car to get more of a satin finish.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: