FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 09:13:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: welding tips  (Read 1597 times)
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »

Well as I mentoined in another recent post my welder has been going fine lately but now s%$t is happening again, this time the tips are melting down, I bought a new pack and did stuff all welding but melted all 5 tips over the weekend, is my technique going bad, do I have too much gas?, ive tried dropping the amps and it still happens, some tips melted back to the thread and others went a S shape, I will get another pack next weekend but I kinda need to know why its happening, it wasnt before.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:40:48 PM »

Melting tips now?!%!

burn back perhaps? where the heat travels up the wide back to the tip.. normally this just sticks the wire to the tip but maybe in your case is travelling back in and heating up the tip until it melts.

i have burn back controls which feeds additional wire after you trigger off to compensate fo this.

if your welder does not have this then maybe try triggering after you finsih laying down your weld.

the downside is using excess wire.

gas rate is just to shield the pool from oxygen over gassing wont affect your weld, under gassing results in porosity due to not enough shielding.

(ie your weld will look like aero bar)

adjusting your wire speed may help but dont adjust to the point where you have excess height in your bead.

how close to the job are you working?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:08:39 PM »

I agree with Ed there, kick up the wire speed and maybe turn the amps down a notch. When I am welding the tip is usually about 1 inch away from the metal and I can't remember ever melting a tip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: