FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 08:32:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any V8 worthy disks  (Read 2761 times)
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2006, 01:15:59 AM »

anyone offer better not bigger disks that still fit under 13s

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:03:29 AM »

Just going off topic for a minute Russ.My wife and I were passing through Darwin a couple of years ago and I spotted a car that looks similar to the one pictured next to your name for sale on the side of the road near Super Cheap Auto on the main road.Was that the car.It looked pretty good back then and yes we did stop to look at it .Couldn't get a phone number as the sign had fallen over inside the car.

Cheers Rusty
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »

anyone offer better not bigger disks that still fit under 13s

V8 torana discs?

I'm betting the laws of physics dictates that increased diameter means better braking and the hi-po toranas bumped up to HQ size rotors for this very reason.

initially i had built my ride with solid 13 inch rotors but the look of them scared me into using HQ vented rotors.

oh.. sorry couldnt help with the brakes.. perhaps use UC calipers as they are bigger?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 08:47:05 AM »

Yeah Rusty that was the car it was for 10k then i think the gut got drunk and sold it to his mate heaps cheap(which he regrets) and then he sold it to me for 8k so i dont know how cheap he got it for,

P.S i saw it three years before i bought it at the first V8s in darwin and i wanted it then, I saw it at super cheap but didn't have any cash free so i didn't even look at it but one day i just finished a cash job and had 8K in my back pocket (literally) and just happen to drive past it on some back street, so i bought it for the missus. now she drive the toyota???

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »

Yeah Rusty that was the car it was for 10k then i think the gut got drunk and sold it to his mate heaps cheap(which he regrets) and then he sold it to me for 8k so i dont know how cheap he got it for,

P.S i saw it three years before i bought it at the first V8s in darwin and i wanted it then, I saw it at super cheap but didn't have any cash free so i didn't even look at it but one day i just finished a cash job and had 8K in my back pocket (literally) and just happen to drive past it on some back street, so i bought it for the missus. now she drive the toyota???

and the discs?
Roll Eyes

in the shed
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:37:54 AM »

Russ,

I've got Torana Discs(Ventilated I've been told) and calipers on my FE Sedan and it pulls up very well and very straight. They are thicker than the HR discs as I've compared them to a new set of HR disc I have for my FE wagon .
Mind you I'm only running a Grey motor but that shouldn't make much difference I suppose, but maybe it does I don't know.
(I've got a photo of your car from that trip I'll dig it out and send it to you)
Cheers again Rusty
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:30:46 AM »

UC Torana are the best you can get in a 13 inch wheel.  There has been some discussion re turning down HQ rotors and using Commo calipers, but not much real improvement on Torana.  We did a very expensive upgrade for an historic racecar, which regulates no increase in rotor diameter, but any caliper is able to be used as long as it is from the sanme era.  We turned dowm HQ rotors and fitted 1960 Corvette 4 piston calipers.
Generally better brakes come from bigger diameter rotors first, larger pad area second, whilst fade resistance comes from the thickness and venting of the rotor.
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: