FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 12:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Date of release of FE  (Read 2884 times)
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:01:19 AM »

Can somebody please tell me the precise date in July 1956 of the release of the FE?

Thanks,

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:08:14 AM »

Hi Martin,
You are bound to get a bunch of different dates due to timing of release across this big country.

I will give you a start anyway:  July 19, 1956.

Source:  'GMH Facts' Pamphlet issued by General Motors-Holden's Limited Corporate Relations Department September 1976.

Run with that one until you get a better answer! Wink Wink

Might as well give you release date for FC while I'm at it:  May 6, 1958.  (same source)

155, 161 FE's built and 191,724 FC's.  FB released Jan 12, 1960. Grin

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:16:44 AM »

Hi again Martin,
Not trying to be a smart ar#$, but don't forget the sedan was the only body released at this time.

Following information taken from Holden Master Parts Catalogue M 32662 (only covers models up to and including FB series):

FE Series Sedans introduced July, 1956
FE Series Coupe Utility introduced February, 1957.
FE Series Station Sedans (wagons) introduced March, 1957
FE Series Panel Vans introduced May, 1957.

Cheers, Shayne. Smiley

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 04:47:26 AM »

Hi Martin,
You are bound to get a bunch of different dates due to timing of release across this big country.

You won't, you know.  All FEs were manufactured in Adelaide until September 1956 when the other plants started manufacture.  In the intervening couple of months Sydney and Melbourne only assembled Adelaide-made cars (and manufactured FJ utes and vans, of course).

So there's really only one date, and July 19 is it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:55:22 AM »

Maybe that date is worth inserting onto the forum calendar - I see it has F**d Day listed in July but not the 50th birthday of the mighty FE!
David

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 05:10:01 AM »

Done!

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

Thanks, fellas.

Bugga.   Sad   19 July 2006 is a Wednesday - I was hoping it would have been a week-end so we could organise a local function on the exact day.   :-/

Thanks again.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 05:28:09 AM »

Hi Guys.

I know I'm known as a bit of a pedant, but here goes anyway.

The word 'release' is a bit ambiguous. In this context it usually refers to the date of the 'news release' or 'press release' that is issued by GM-H with the details of the new model.

It doesn't refer to the 1st day that the new car went on sale or the 1st day it went into production. It was simply the date the media was allowed to tell the world about the new model & was printed in the heading of the news release. Often, the media (read press, remember no TV in July '56) was shown the car an extra day or 2 before the release date to allow for time to print the story. In the last few decades, the motor magazines are often shown the cars under strict security 6 to 8 weeks before the ‘release’ to allow time to put their publications together, then print & distribute them, so their news is still fresh.

The FE has its news release dated 19th July 1956, but it actually went on public display & sale at the dealers’ showrooms, the next day, 20th July 1956. This 2nd date could be referred to as the sale date. This is why you often see 2 different dates, only 1 day apart, when new model dates are discussed.

The wagon/van/ute situation is even more vague. The ‘release’ date for all 3 variants was the 28th February 1957. This is the date when the news, full details & prices of the additions to the FE series were announced. The ute actually went on sale, the next Tuesday 5th March 1957. The wagon (Station Sedan) a week or 2 later & the panel van in mid May. There were obviously production line time constraints on why these were all not ready at the time of the news release, but these 3 dates (5/3/56 & mid March & mid May) were quoted exactly this way, in the news release. There weren’t 3 separate releases for the wagon, ute & van.

In later years GM-H has used the term ‘introduced’ to loosely describe the release or sale date, to overcome any queries.

Dr Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: