FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 05:31:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Won't Start - Where Do I Start  (Read 3135 times)
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:24:14 PM »

Jumped in the car this morning and there was nothing.  I have power on my dash and at the radio but I am not getting as much as a click from the started motor.  I hooked up some jump leads in case there was too little power but it made no difference.  Gave the starter a tap with a hammer but nothing.  It is not clicking or anything.

Anyone got any obvious starting points to look next.  I am running a grey with original regulator and generator.  It seems as if the power is not getting to the starter motor.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:14:39 AM »

It may be the battery has just enough to power lights and the radio but not the starter.
Have you tried another known good battery?
Otherwise grab a test light and head under the bonnet and check for power to the solenoid. Lookout for any obviously damaged cables or loose/dirty connections.

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:40:44 AM »

Burnsy, follow stinky's thoughts.In addition check the ignition switch to see if power comes out of the start terminal when the switch is on "start".Check for power continuity in the wiring and connections.Also to help rule out the starter solenoid grab a decent screwdriver or similar (a jumper lead also works)and bridge the solenoid battery power input terminal and the solenoid activation terminal(which is the wire terminal connection coming from the ignition switch) .
If it turns over ok when bridging the solenoid then your problem may not be in the starter although sometimes when starter bushes wear the starter armature can "pole" (ie: rub) against the magnets giving sluggish starter probs but your prob sounds different.Solenoids can get crap in them as well which can seize up the plunger inside giving a start one minute and no start the next.
Try all these ideas and any other advice given from other members and let us know how you got on.

Hope this info helps (and makes sense!!),

Terry.

P.S. Just another thought.Batterys can drop a cell or to and fail at the click of a finger......working one minute, not working the next.Like stinky said,try a known working battery first and go on from there.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:39 AM »

Thanks guys, exactly the kind of advice and service this board is so well reputed for Smiley

Knew it wasn't the battery as I tried jumping it this morning.  Tried the little gem about bridging the starter and that worked fine.

Looked at the ignition switch, contemplated removing the handbrake to allow better access (it's a EK) as I stood on my head on the floor pan with my tester light in my hand and then though if maybe if I unscrew the bezel it will just come out and I can play with it in my lap.
Unscrewed the bezel, realised it would not come out that easily, screwed it back on and buggered if it didn't work Grin

By the way, for future reference.  If I turn the ignition on and it powers up but does not activate the starter, can I bridge the starter to start the car?

Thanks heaps,
Burnsy

Mike
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 06:48:06 AM »

Yep.Turn ignition switch to "on".Then bridge the starter solenoid and it will start(providing starter and/or solenoid is ok AND ignition switch allows power to coil positive).As a 17 year old apprentice mechanic in the early '80's I was often seen at the workshop carpark with head down,bum up, in my FC wagons engine bay trying to bridge the starter to get it going(sparks everywhere if I accidently grounded to the body).Eventually found in my case that the ignition switch was faulty.Another ignition switch  from a wreck and it was business as usual.
Sounds to me like your ignition switch is a little dodgy and/or the terminal connections may have been loose or dirty if after a bit of a fiddle (with the switch Wink) it is now working.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:35 AM »

Burnsy,

Step 1:  Take the spark plug out of the Victa ....

lol   Grin  Grin

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: