FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 10:18:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing Cover Oil Seal  (Read 1839 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2006, 04:45:06 AM »

In Decemeber I had the misfortune of blowing my timing gear in a grey motor. What annoyed me the most was that I had previously done one about three years ago and replaced it with a steel / alloy one. The moral of the story is not to trust these either. However, having said that I have spoke to a number of people and they had never heard of a steel one going - but mine did half way between Ballarat and Bendigo. The oil gallery and feed to the gears was clear and not blocked as some maybe suggesting.

Anyway I replaced the gear (with another steel set) and took great care in aligning the oil seal prior to replacing the harmonic balancer. And to my shock I now have oil leaking. Is it possible to loosen the bolts and screws to the cover and carefully align the seal around the balancer without going through the whole process of removing it???

Please don't tell me that the cover needs removing.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Rod
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 07:27:01 AM »

Rod. Can you remember whether the harmonic balancer had any grooves where the seal lip runs on the harmonic.Over the years the seals wear a groove in the balancer and a new seal sometimes will leak because of this.If so try to find a better balancer with little or no groove or better still a new one if you can.Other choice is weld the grooves and remachine or fitment of a thin sleeve over the worn groove area.There was a kit available years ago with these sleeves and a fitment tool.
I've also seen a washer/washers placed between the harmonic end and the crank timing gear to bring the worn groove area slightly out from normal running area of the seal on the balancer which gives the seal a unworn running surface(bush remedy).
Dunno 'bout loosening the timing cover and moving it.You would be lucky not to break the gasket.
I'm not going to be the one to tell you that the cover might need removing Grin Grin Grin

hope this helps,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:45:34 AM »

Gday Rod
            Is the oil leaking between the timing cover and the engine front cover plate or at the Timing gear cover oil seal ( at the crank seal direcly behind the harmonic balancer). If the leak is between the timing cover and the front cover plate ,than unfortunatly you will have to remove and re gasket the timing cover Cry. or check the tension on the timing cover bolts
If however the leak is at the Timing gear cover oil seal than you would do well to refer to FB MAD,s advice re:-fixing the problem.
    This might sound a bit crazy but I had the same problem with my FB .What I did was to turn the motor backwards by hand a couple of revolutions and the leak went away?Huh??.
   Yes I know this sound unbelievable but It did happen . May have been a bit of crap in the seal???
       Brad Smiley

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: