FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:39:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ext sun visor  (Read 4923 times)
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:13:44 AM »

About to repaint exterior sun visor & the aluminium strip has some imperfections as aging ally does, that need to be 'sanded' out,
has anyone tried this & how did ya go about it

Nic
craiga
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:34:11 AM »

Nic,

You could get some real fine wet and dry and take the scratches out of it, followed by some cutting compound and a motorised buff, and then finish off with an alloy polish.

I used the buff/compound/polish method on mine and it came up like new, although it does discolour/oxidize and needs re-doing regularly.

Cheers,

Craig.
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 12:08:12 AM »

Craig would  something like 800-1200 grit paper do the job

Nic
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 12:23:56 AM »

Nic.
i dont really know much about the piece you are talking about but if this piece is alloy, then i would start out using say 800 (depending on how bad the marks are) then work your way up to 1200-1400. i would be using autosol right the way through doing this, as it will get the shine up. after that, a finishing polish should make it all nice and shiny, and the shine should stay a quite a bit longer...

cheers
Darcy 8)Cool

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 12:53:35 AM »

A coat of clear, either rattle-can, powder coat or that POR15 gear will keep it like new, just give a quick wipe over when it gets dirty.

craiga
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 01:59:19 AM »

Nic,

I was thinking more like 2000 wet and dry, I reckon 800 grit is way to coarse for this purpose, but what grade you start with will depend upon the type and depth of the scratches.

Autosol is perfect for finishing off, or I use the Mothers Aluminium polish and find the results extremely good.

Cheers,

Craig.

Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 02:02:02 AM »

Darcy its the aluminium strip across the front of the visor & would ya sand,autosole,sand,autosole etc, etc
Just dont want to stuff it up as I only have one & they're not a dime a dozen to replace

Nic
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 02:08:59 AM »

dont use 800 grit u will do more  damage than you started with 2000 grit and slowly but carefully it will tidy up then a chrome polish and clearcoat  and it will be good for years to come
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 02:17:06 AM »

Craig/Darcy its not so much scratches as bubbles (for the want of a better word) that aluminium goes like when left to the weather & gets older with time
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 02:49:49 AM »

Nic, are the bubbles hollow or can you sand them down?
If they are hollow, you could sand them off then fill the holes with bit of bog and paint it silver.
If they sand down to a flat surface, follow the directions for polishing above.

Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 04:05:08 AM »

Stinky they are bumps & I guess impurities in the ally, which should/will be able to sand down.
Its not tooooooo bad just annoying to me.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 05:06:16 AM »

when i polish alloy, i get a little piece of sandpaper, put a little polish on the paper and start polishing!!

although, after i think the piece is up to scratch i use  finishing polish, i usually use purple polish, which is quite expenisive but does a great job.

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 06:51:27 AM »

is that stuff called purple stuff from autosmart or is it the stuff from the usa or am i thinking of the wrong stuff?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: