FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 05, 2024, 09:20:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bonnet cable snapped  (Read 2354 times)
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2005, 12:37:34 AM »

What is the best way to pop the bonnet so I can replace a broken cable?
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »

There is a small gap between the striker plate and the cover panel for this purpose.  Put a torch to the gap between the bonnet and grille and you should be able to see it pretty much dead centre IIRC.  Carefully poke a decent length but skinny screwdriver in at an angle (point it towards the driver's door, you might say), and you should be able to release the catch.

It may take a few goes and some quiet swearing though...  Wrap the screwdriver in masking or electrical tape to avoid scratching the paint on the bonnet and panel as well.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:35:06 AM »

Hi Mooky,

I found that when I needed to do it (on the way to Jindabyne, about to set out across the Nullarbor) that a 1/4" kink in the otherwise straight implement help to get the right angle to release the catch.  We used a welding rod (very stiff) with a 1/4" kink in it to poke through the gap that RET describes.  

I had the luxury of Surferboy's car next to mine with the bonnet open so that we could do a dummy run on his then apply similar angles to mine with the bonnet closed.

hope it works.......Brad
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 05:11:05 AM »

Thank you for your advice, in the end the bonnet decided to open itself "AT 70MPH" Thank god for the safety catch, once again thanks for the advice.

Mook Shocked
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:04:36 AM »

Seems like you wasted a fair bit of time at Norseman, Brad.  All you had to do was drive at 70mph to get the bonnet open!!   Grin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: