FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 06, 2024, 05:53:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting tappets after head installation  (Read 5780 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:05:44 AM »

Hi all,

I am bolting on my reconditioned yella terra cylinder head to my 179 this weekend, and have been searching the forum for help on tappet adjustment.

This is what I found
The early Red Motors were adjusted with the engine running.
One at a time each tappet adjustment was backed off until it was noisy then slowly tighten until the tappet noise stopped then from memory tighten a further 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Hence the use of the oil deflector to reduce the oil mess.
Another trick is to use an old rocker cover with the top cut out enough to access the adjustments.

(this was written by Seb, who I understand is a guru)

Would everyone recommend this method?  I have a feeler guage as well.

Are there any other little tricks when bolting on the head?  I've got the workshop manual, and we are just going to keep taking digital photos as we go along slowly.

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 09:31:19 AM by Dave_EH » Logged
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 10:30:17 AM »

Hi Dave,
Do you have hydraulic or solid lifters in the motor?
If you have hydraulic lifters use Sebs method.
If you have solids you will have to set with feeler guages to specs.
Regards ACE  Cool
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 10:38:38 AM »

they are hydraulic.  Thanks Ace

Dave
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:30:38 AM »

I've been reading up on rocker adjustment in the workshop manual and have hit a snag:

- When adjusting the rockers during a service on a 179, the manual says to tighten them as per outlined in my above post, i.e. by sound then two 1/4 to 1/2 turns.

- When adjusting after head removal (Therefore rockers and push rods have been totally removed), it says to do it by getting No. 1 cylinde to TDC compression stroke by watching the rotor arm on the dizzy, then adjusting until push rod is tight, then one 1/2 turn.

This continues for all cylinders in the firing order.

Can it just be done by getting them fairly tight then adjustung by sound once it is running?

The problem is I am not sure if my dizzy will be set for standard timing or for advance or retard, so it may not perfectly show TDC, and I am installing a new dizzy at the same time anyway.

Can anyone help with this? I know lots of you have probably pulled off heads before.

I'd like to compete the job tomorrow night if I can

Regards
Dave

Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:27:42 PM »

How do you adjust the tappets if you have a yella terra head with roller rockers and hydraulic tappets? Are they pre set, or is there a form of adjustment???

Grah.

Grah
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:40:57 AM »

I have standard tappets ar present with hydraulic lifters on a YT head - I'm getting roller rockers soon though.

I require advice on which is the better method of adjustment after head removal.

Cheers
Dave
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:39:01 AM »

Can anyone at least tell me the method they use?

Dave
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:10:58 AM »

Hmm...

In this case i'd take the side plates off so you can see when each cylinder is on the tdc of the compression stroke and adjust the tappets until push rods are tight plus one half turn. You will need the side plates of so you can see that the cam is not trying to raise one of the valves. My method is to spin the push rod with your fingers till you feel some tension then do half a turn.

When your setting up number one you should be able to statically set the timing and adjust it later with a timing light to perfection. The FE/FC manual outlines a good procedure for this.

This should set things up so it will run silently, once its running and hot re-torque the head and adjust the tappets again.

No doubt there is a better method out there....

Best regards,

Steve
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 07:19:39 PM »

Remember, DON'T re-torque the head if you've used the head stud sealer!

To quote from the workshop manual.......

"Liberally coat threads of cylinder head bolts with sealing compound (oil) P/N 3835215.

Install cylinder head bolts and tighten with a torque wrench in the sequence as shown in Fig. 6A-25 (Below)

o 12    o8   o 4   o 1   o 5   o 9   13 o

o 11    o 7   o 3   o 2   o 6   o 10  14 o

Fig. 6A-25

Important: Tightening of the cylinder head bolts must be carried out in two stages as follows:
Stage 1: Tighten bolts evenly to 30lb.-ft.
Stage 2: Tighten bolts evenly to 75 lb.-ft.
Note: No further tightening of the cylinder head bolts is necessary."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:40:16 PM by gp » Logged
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:03:09 AM »

Thanks GP,

Thats exactly what I did, but my manual said to go

1) 35 pound
2) 65 pound
3) 75 pound

Still trying to sort out the best way to get a temporary tightness on the tappets till I fire it up.

Cheers
Dave
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 02:17:01 AM »

Starting with number 1 cylinder, tighten down the rocker until it just takes the slack out of the pushrod (like SEB said, spin the pushrod as you tighten the rocker, you'll feel it grab just when the slack is taken up). Then turn the engine over until number 5 is ready to fire & repeat the process. Repeat again for each cylinder 3, 6, 2, & 4. DON'T do them too tight. This will be enough to start the engine & then do them with the engine running. While it's running, back off each one until it clatters, then tighten until the clatter stops, then a further 1/2 turn.

Hope this is understandable?

Graham
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:20:53 AM »

Thanks Graham,

It makes perfect sense.  I assume I just watch the rockers to look for TDC compression stroke?

Thanks
Dave
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 09:51:47 AM »

Dave once rockers are on grab an oil can sqirt oil down each pushrod and on top of rockers. Then feel each rocker and lightly tighten them, then turn motor over about a 1/4 of a turn, lightly tighten loose ones again, repeat that method again untill you think you have tightend all of them. Start the engine turn the idle screw up to bring engine revs up just above idle, warm motor up, back off each rocker until it chatters then tighten until it gets quiet when all of them are done Then SLOWLY take each rocker down a 1/16 of a turn at a time untill you reach 1/2 a turn each.
    Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 06:43:12 PM »

Dave also jack back of car up so as the motor sits level or slightly forward to help stop all the oil running down the back of the motor. Sorry if it seems a bit confusing if you get stuck give me a ring on 0428680608 and I will gladly explain.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »

Thanks Al,

That sounds like a good plan to follow.  I should have a go at it on saturday morning.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: