FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 03:11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake lines  (Read 2323 times)
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2005, 07:04:52 AM »

I'm replacing the brakelines on my FC ute with new 1/4" lines after the old ones died through rust. The local brake place has given me some "Bundy" line to replace the old lines with. It looks like its the right stuff dimensionally but it has a olive green coating which is supposed to protect the line against corrosion. My questions are:

1/ Will this stuff do the job (I suppose its safer)
2/ Is it possible to get the protective spring cover that is used on some of the areas that can be damaged by stuff thrown up by the wheels
3/ Should the line be protected againt corrosion where the coating has been damaged?

While I want to keep it as standard as possible it needs to be safe. Total brake failure I only want to live through once! Thanks for any assistance.

Best regards,

Steve.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:05:02 PM »

Steve,

I used the spring cover off the original lines.

also never used coated lines, only the std steel lines.

Is this of any help?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
SEB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:33:01 AM »

Ed thanks it is, for the fuel line I have wound up doing this. On the brake lines the springs are so badly corroded they need to be replaced. The folk at the brake shop tell me the springs are used only where the pipe come is contact with something solid (I'd assume that it was to protect the line against stuff thrown up by the wheels). Assuming the brake place is correct I can protect the lines with plastic fuel hose. I wonder what they use in modern cars, guess I could go and look.

I used the coated line because I thought it would last longer (athough 45 years is pretty good).

Best regards,

Steve.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 07:10:35 AM »

Coated, pipe is good stuff, we use it all the time and it will last for a very long time.   You will need to use original spring from pipe in good order.  I can supply you with spring coil to replace the old stuff.  send me a pm if interested

Ken
SEB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 05:42:16 AM »

Thanks Ken I'll take you up on that the plastic pipe covered lines look pretty naf. I measure this up and send you a message....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: