FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Balanced bottom end  (Read 2505 times)
Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2005, 05:07:24 AM »

Guys,

Does anyone know if the machining marks on the underside of the pistons in the pic are balancing marks??
All pistons have different machining marks as do the rods. Each rod, bottom rnd cap and piston weigh exactly the same, 1.412kg. Is this a coincidence?? There are drill holes in the flywheel and the clutch diaphragm?
Any help would be appreciated.

Grah
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 05:45:39 AM »

I doubt it as the aliminium is pretty light and wouldnt do much but I could be wrong, usually everything is balanced at once (everything that spins of the crank incl the flywheel) and there should be some pretty obvious drill holes in the counterweights on the crank if its balanced

craiga
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 06:26:03 AM »

Grah,

If they all weigh the same they are statically balanced, but engine balancing involves dynamic balancing rotating parts such as crankshaft and flywheel/clutch/pressure plate. So the work on the pistons and rods probably does indicate that engine balancing has been carried out at some stage.

Cheers,

Craig.
Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:08:03 PM »

Thanks guys,

There are drill holes in the crank, grinding marks on the counter balance weights, drill holes in the fly wheel and drill holes in the clutch diaphagm. And the machining marks on the pistons. Reckon it has been dynamically balanced?

Grah.

Grah
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 09:38:26 PM »

I have just had my grey motor fully balanced and the machining marks on the rods are very similar, you'll probably find that one of the rods doesn't have any grinding marks on it, this would be the lightest one, the others will have had material taken off them to match the weights.

jay

EK 215 - Who needs all that chrome
Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 11:52:52 PM »

Correct, one rod is sans marks. Note that the pic shows a mark on the cap. This was caused by the fuel pump pecker failing at some stage, before my ownership. I found the bits in the sump.

Grah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: