FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 11:39:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: tapping threads  (Read 2549 times)
Jonno

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2005, 11:51:40 AM »

Hi,
anyone ever tried to repair the rear of a grille when screws have been broken off in there? I've got the broken screws out (eventually...) but not sure what to do next. Do the threads need re-tapping or are the screws self-tapping (they have a wierd groove in 'em)? What are these things anyway...the parts catalogue calles them 'type G, no.10' Is this a BSP parallel thread?
thanks Jonno Huh

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 11:18:15 PM »

After I broke one original screw, I didn't risk the others and just took one in to a fastener shop for stainless replacements. Just used ordinary threaded hex heads.

Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 12:52:42 AM »

I can beat that...I broke a screw extractor in a screw, in the grille (aaaargh)! A very good way to raise the blood pressure...took about half a day to get back to where I was at the start!

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 07:49:30 AM »

Jonno,

Are you talking about the die cast vertical and/or the two piece "eyebrow" sections?

The new ones have a hole, no thread, and the bolts are tapered slightly at the end of the thread so that they cut a new thread as they are screwed in.

Not sure of the thread size, however they are not a self tapper per say, however a self tapper replacement would work, especially if you have enlarged the hole.

Regards

Edward
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 11:37:05 AM »

yeh, those are the ones. The metal does seem pretty soft (unlike my screw extractor!) so I think Ill just try gently easing one back in. If it doesn't cut/hold I'll find something with slightly larger diameter.
thanks for the info.

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: