FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 12:14:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: engine misfire  (Read 2692 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2005, 07:29:34 AM »

:(Help please, my recently restored 59 F.C. has developed a misfire which is intermttent ,it happens at any speed and feels just like the ignition has been turned off and on quickly ,when this happens the gen light comes on which seems to indicate to me that the circuit is going open ,I have run wire from the pos terminal to the batt side of the coil via a switch on the dash and with this on it does not happen .does any one have any clues where to look or how to find this fault please     thanks Steve .

Sale Victioria
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 07:35:08 AM »

Hi fcee.

Assuming all your terminals at the starter motor & ignition switch are all clean & tight, I would suspect the ignition switch itself.

Dr Terry.

craiga
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 07:39:58 AM »

Dr-Terry may be on the money. Have you replaced the coil with a resistor type but no resistor? This would cause increased current to flow through the ignition switch burning the contacts. Ignition coils designed for use with a 'ballast' resistor are almost always marked with an "R" somewhere on the case.

Good Luck,

Craig.
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 08:04:44 AM »

:(Thanks guys ,every thing under the hood has been cleaned and checked ,distributor ,coil ,all connections ,it has a new battery , new plugs ,sounds  like it may be the ignition switch doing its own thing ,can they be repaired ,or cleaned ,or do I have to look for a replacement ,like to post a photo of my car but do not know how ,not very computer literate .

Sale Victioria
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 11:05:30 AM »

Hey Steve.
If you would like to send the pics to me, I will post them for you. You can then post a reply with your comments. Send 'em to - custom@idx.com.au
Regards
Alex

craiga
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:12 PM »

you can buy brand new ignition switches at rare spares outlets. Comes complete with new key and all fittings.
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 08:16:41 AM »

:)Thanks Craig ,will run it for while with the ignition bypass on and if no further trouble will fit new switch and hope it is not the wiring that is the cause . Steve .

Sale Victioria
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: