FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 26, 2024, 05:24:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox recon.  (Read 1578 times)
Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2004, 04:51:25 AM »

Hi all

my fc has a grey motor with 3 spd gearbox in it and the gearbox is leaking oil, actually its not even holding it, if i fill it 2 days later there is more on the garage floor than in the box. as well as making a light rattling noise when ive pressed the clutch while changing gears. it also grinds alot going from first to second and has just started doing it a bit from second to third as well. the mechanic said it will cost me $600 to change the seals and that in it.
now im not one to pretend to know the slightest thing about the inner workings of my car but surely i can have a crack at doing this myself for far less.
So now im throwing myself at the wisdom of the forum and asking for any and all info on doing this myself.

ive got a workshop manual so a bit of its in there - if use could just put it in laymens terms it would be great

what do i need to do it?
where will i get these parts, bits and pieces from?
how much will it cost?

thanks guys  Grin Grin Grin
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 07:06:21 AM »

I see what you are trying to do....and believe me, I try and do the same.....but from my experience....SPEND THE $600 !

Chances are with these things, that what you think is a simple job of replacing seals ect, ends up being a can of worms ( don;t mean to frighten you here ), and could give you more drama than it's worth.    Also, you could rip out the box, strip it, replace all the seals ect, whack it back together and it's still not right, because there was something else wrong with it that you didn;t pick up on, as you ( like me ) are not too mechanically minded...where as the mechanic might spot another problem straight away,and would save you a whole lot of grief.

Having said all that.....wipe everything clean underneath the gearbox..then degrease it and dry competely....then fill er up with oil, drive it, then keep checking every so often, to see where in fact the oil is coming from.....it could be a seal....then again...it could be more serious, and you make have a crack in the gearbox casing.   By cleaning it thoroughly, you should spot the leak pretty quickly.
The grinding of gears is probably cause there's no oil left in the box, but could also be worn teeth on the cogs..... but given that you said there is a noise when pressing the clutch....maybe the clutch is not dis-engaging fully...whcih could be lack of clutch fluid, or a buggered clutch bearings.......

I'm no mechanic, but start by eliminating a few possibilities...(ie) does it leak if standing still or only under driving conditions....does it leak from the seals, or from a crack in the casing....is there a leak in clutch fluid ?

To give you a real example, I sent my Trimatic off to be re-cond...Stuffed Pistons, Stuffed Belts...worn out thingy-ma-jig.......cost me about $800 - $900 , but I got it totally, stipped and acid cleaned, new Corvette Pistons, New Chevlar Belts, and tricked up to VL V8 specs, shift kitted ect ect....so it's now a very strong and harder shifting Trimatic....but if I'd just replaced a few seals ect....it still wouldn;t have been right.

But that's just my thoughts from my own experience and I'm no mechanic.

I hope you get the problem fixed either way.....and if you do it on your own and solve the problems, then you are even better off, cause you did it yourself, and that's more than I can do !

Cheers

Mark

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 07:47:10 AM »

Thumper,

the $600- estimate you've been quoted fits with what i have been told here in Adelaide - just the recon kit would cost around $250 "... if I can get hold of one" the fella told me.

I agree with Mark - find out where it's leaking from.  If it's more than just seals, then I reckon I'd try putting a post in the "Parts Wanted" section of this formum.  I reckon some of our friends like Slim or Ace might be able to help you with a cheaper replacement alternative.  Sure, you're taking a bit of a chance buying a second-hand box, but it might be a cheaper option.  

Many moons ago (when I was younger and less cautious) I pulled apart the box that I had in my FB at the time  - one bearing had disintegrated.  Fortunately I had the advice of a mechanic friend to help me out - but they are not an easy job if you're going to start replacing bearings and gears.  My advice to the amateur is "Leave it alone".

Good luck.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: