FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 12, 2024, 03:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Installing new dash(around speedo)  (Read 5694 times)
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2005, 09:04:39 AM »

hi all...i recently obtained a chrome dash(black plastic part around speedo) and glove box...i would get my local guy to do it, its just he has scratched the panels fixing my indicator and i would rather do it myself now...any ideas on the best way to install a new dash?...thanks guys will post pics of car soon
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 09:43:40 AM »

stick a rag over the top of your steering colum to protect it from chips and scratches and undo the two screws under the instrument cluster, disconnect the battery or be carefull not to short the wires on the back of the headlight switch and starter switch.
pull the cluster forward enough to reach your hand in and disconect the speedo cable, now you can see everything it might be a bit more straight forward.
easiest way might be to udo all the screws holding the guages or you can disconnect all the wires and swap it all over in front of the tv.
there is a button on the back of the headlight switch that you push to release the pull knob.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 09:47:13 AM »

thanks heaps mate, i appreciate your help..i have a full manual an no reference in it for changing dash.will send pics when done..Nick Athans
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:02:21 AM »

One other small trick to make the dash easier to get at from behind is to remove the choke cable from the carburettor so that it will slide through the grommet into the car a bit.

I usually undo the speedo cable before undoing the dash screws.  Reach up on the LHS of the steering column and you will soon find the speedo cable.

VERY important to remove battery lead as suggested as shorting will occur very easily

Regards  Ken
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »

there is a bit more in it than that, I was being pretty breif. maybe at the start you could first undo the ring around the starter swith by turning it anti clockwise.
the manual is good becuase you may need the wiring diagram when you put it back together.
If you pull the indicator bulbs out be carefull not to break the little peices of circuit board they are in.
you will also have to disconnect the choke and remove it from the dash and I think but cant remeber, ther might be a small screw in the black part of the wiper switch.
It isn't really something you need to tack it to a shop for and you will get to know your wiring a little and learn a few things about the car. could help if you brek down with a electrical problem or want to add accessories later.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »

thanks..the chrome plate around the choke is what he scratched when he secured my ignition and changed indicator bulb...thanks guys..i should get it from here will start on the weekend...will post you on how i went...i am still trying to work out how to send and post pictures.
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 10:15:33 AM »

ken you beet me too the choke bit, I forgot before becuase my choke was disconnected for the last eight years with the cable wound up under the carpet.

fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 10:47:38 PM »

gday guys i just realised that my dash goes underneath the black plastic part...the whole white panel around the dials is chrome?..be starting soon...will send pics when i can figure out how?/?..
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 07:42:42 AM »

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 07:53:59 AM »

you didnt by any chance buy those off ebay did you.......?

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »

yes about a week ago...i missed out on one about 5 weeks ago and got this for $175...why you ask?
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 09:27:43 AM »

i was bidding against you Shocked Embarrassed Lips sealed Wink

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 09:31:18 AM »

gee you must of wanted it bad like me...the last one went for 140 i think..it costs about $70 to chrome it form a bloke in moorabbin,i was thinking about chroming the inside box i have made for it,when he told me it would only be 50 bucks..i have realised now it is cheaper always chrome it yourself...but of course you have no spare
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 07:20:59 AM »

thanks guys..this is how it ended up turning out...thanks alot for all your help...here is the b4 and after

billythedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »

gee you must of wanted it bad like me...the last one went for 140 i think..it costs about $70 to chrome it form a bloke in moorabbin,i was thinking about chroming the inside box i have made for it,when he told me it would only be 50 bucks..i have realised now it is cheaper always chrome it yourself...but of course you have no spare

Who is the guy in Moorabbin that you refer to who does the chroming? I have a dash in dire need of some sparkle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: