FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 17, 2024, 05:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering Box Brace  (Read 549 times)
Jolls
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2024, 08:46:50 PM »

Hi Team,

I found this posted on Marketplace.

It supposedly greatly increases steering response and road feel. I have searched the forum and can find no reference to such a brace. Does anyone have experience with this modification?

As the steering box is boted securely to the chasis is there really and play to warrant this mod or is there somethign I am missing?

Cheers n Beers
Craig

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 07:55:54 AM »

There can be play, especially with bigger tyres, big offset rims and/or heavier engine, and after a lot of miles/years. The rivets that hold the outer tube get loose, and the tube can crack. You can see the box try and rotate if there is an issue, when you turn the steering wheel stationary. The brace will stop it turning in both axis, the column and sector shaft, and help prevent this. If it hasn’t happened to your car it can also help prevent it.

The only thing I don’t particularly like about that one is that you would need to remove it to access the filler plug, which is why I made my own, from 1.2mm 18# sheet. Not very thick but doesn’t need to be. It seems to work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 09:03:35 AM »

What he said. ^^^

Dr Terry
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 05:12:38 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I have to deal with the king pins before I even get a chance to see what else is going on with the steering but I will jumo out and see how things look with the steering box. Could be a cheap insurance policy for the steering even if it doesn't need it yet. Cheers

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 07:53:48 AM »

I fitted steering box braces to my FC and FB. I am running standard wheels and tyres. The braces have made absolutely no difference to the steering at all. For me they are a waste of time and effort.
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 09:29:54 AM »

I fitted steering box braces to my FC and FB. I am running standard wheels and tyres. The braces have made absolutely no difference to the steering at all. For me they are a waste of time and effort.

That is correct. They only offer any improvement, if you're running a big wheel/tyre combination, which causes the box to fklex on its mountings..

Dr Terry
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2024, 05:00:12 PM »

Thanks Fraze and Dr Terry,

We will be running standard wheels so if there is no benefit I'll gove it a miss for the time being and see where we end up down the track.

Cheers

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2024, 07:24:23 PM »

I still recommend you do the test Craig. Get someone to apply torque to the steering wheel while you observe the box, and see if it moves at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2024, 09:07:28 PM »

I will do the test and make a decision once that is done. If it was something common I would dish out the ber tokens to make it happen, but on a maybe I'll wait and see. Cheers

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: