FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 09:33:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Painting a Steering Column  (Read 1900 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: December 05, 2003, 11:42:58 AM »

Tried to paint my HR (so I was told) steering column the other week. I used a no-name enamel primer and black paint from Autobarn. The job turned out quite well, until I accidently bumped the top part of the column that is plastic. The paint cracked and broke off very easily in large chunks, going right back to the sanded surface. The metal that was painted is fine.

Does anyone know what I should be using to paint the plastic part of the column? Would Acrylic be better?

craiga
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 12:07:50 PM »

Stinky,

There is a special primer that is used when painting plastic. The primer will increase level of paint adhesion so you don't end up with the top coat falling off. Same method as used on painted bumper bars.

Give your local auto paint shop a visit and ask them for advice.

Good Luck,

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: