FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 11:24:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: door skin transplant.  (Read 2132 times)
Glen

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:00:06 PM »

Greetings fellow FC FE lovers. I have just purchased another FC to restore and have 4 doors with very solid frames with rust along the bottom of the outer skin. I have an opportunity to buy another set of 4 that are heavily corroded around the window frames however the skins themselves are rust free and very straight. I intend to sacrifice the frames on these and unpick and bend back the lip around the edge of the skin and fit them to the doors with good frames. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has attemped this procedure. I realize it may be a tedious way to end up with rust free doors, we're doing it for fun right? I'll be starting a thread in project cars as soon as I remember how to post pictures.
GMHwagoon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »

Firstly l would compare the cost of four half door skins  ,around $320 to the price of the doors you are about to buy
it might work out better cost wise  to buy half skins ,also the time and effort needed to remove second hand door skins
in a way that they don't get damaged in the process
half skins usually are more than what you need to get rid of lower rust in doors 

greg  (fcwagoon)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: