FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 04:34:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake and clutch master cylinder advice. Best options? Advice needed.  (Read 2592 times)
DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »

Hi all.
After getting myself neck deep in other jobs on the wagon the clutch master has given up and sent fluid through fire wall. Presently I have brake and clutch black bodied cast cylinders with the coloured dots in the ends. I believe they are same as rare spares item and we're installed by previous owner approx 10yrs ago. I have trawled through many posts on rebuilding resleeving etc, and feel I'm across all that info. Also across the benefits of silicone fluid. I can easily just get a new identical cylinder for $95 after club discount from Rares.
What I really want to know is what would is the what would get the best reliability in the seals and cylinder in general.
Options as I understand (disregard price I'm after best reliability )
1 buy new install and have 10yrs of bliss  (maybe)
2 put in rebuild kit and have maybe less than 10yrs ( bore condition dictates)
3 resleeve current with smooth stainless.
4 get a matching pair of old units and re sleeve and rebuild.
5 Find older pbr ( read pre made in china) set and have sleeved and kitted

Ultimately I want tin can masters but that won't happen on this occasion. I have two original masters with completely rusted tins.

All said and done maybe the rubbers only last so long regardless of what they're rubbing against. I don't need it to last forever but like a quality job with quality outcomes. 

Any feedback will be appreciated
Cheers
Dan

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »

I'm sure I have one here with ss sleeve if you want it . Haydn
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »

I think a matched pair of original style cylinders with plastic tops resleeved in stainless would be your best option long term.
Don't use silicone fluid unless you use the car frequently. Yes it has the advantage of not absorbing moisture, and is less compressible, but it also leaks far more readily than normal fluid. So if the bore gets a little dry for instance and the cup drags even a tiny bit, the silicone fluid will get out. Cry

Ken

DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »

Thanks for that offer Haydn if it matches this one I just bought I'm interested (pic below). PM me. I'm going with Ken's idea. I stripped the Rares Protex one that sprang the leak and it was minor corrosion on the cast bore that lifted seal and allowed it to leak. Moisture must have sat just at the outer most travel of the seal. I have polished it and got a new seal. This will be sufficient until I sort my set out of sleeved items out. For Adelaide people I obtained parts from South Glenelg brake service 788 marion rd.  Fella was onto it. Took in my drums and shoes, he measured, inspected and told me they were good. Had a stock of seals. Two classics and a vintage in being worked on when I went in.
Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: