FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 05:51:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front Quarter Vent Window  (Read 5888 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:18:26 AM »

G'day all. My front right quarter vent window has suddenly become too easy to rotate and closes as soon as the wind hits it. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and whether it can generally be fixed by gaining access by going up inside the door or does it require removal of the vent window structure?
Cheers, Ken.  Sad
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »

Ken

I think you will need to remove it unless you tie it in the open position with your shoelace

there is a clamp on the shaft with a small  bolt

link below to part, I don't think you need to replace the rivets that are in the kit

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/SearchPage.aspx?type=partsfinder&pno=0&brand=HOLDEN&model=FC+HOLDEN&car=11C&productgroup=DOOR+COMPONENTS&subgroup=PIN+%26+RIVET+KITS

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »

This is a very common problem, the little spring clamp breaks and you lose the resistance to turning. Unfortunately the glass and the seals all have to come out to remove the quarter window.

Ken
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »

Oh damn. I was afraid of that. Gary I'm tempted to go with the shoe lace option but will resist the urge. But thanks anyway.  Wink

In the workshop manual it seems to suggest that it can be tightened without removal but Ken are you saying that if the clamp is broken it will require removal? Cheers and thanks for the help. Appreciated.
Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »

Hi Ken,
Yes in most cases by now the Spring clip will be broken. I think it would be very awkward to get it replaced with the window in position.
Cheers,
Graham
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:17:21 PM »

Yep, I've tried, can't be done.
Trying to get the old broken piece of Spring off the window post is impossible in my opinion with the window in place.

Ken
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »

Cannot be done without removing the 1/4 window from the door frame . Follow steps in manual.  I had both 1/4 windows removed & refitted in 2 hours today on my ute.  old-blu.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »

Wow Kevin that must be a record. Fast worker.
Cheers,
Graham
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 08:32:16 AM »

Thanks everyone. Will set aside some time this weekend.
Cheers, Ken
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »

I did mine yesterday, both sides. I also replaced the rubber seals. A bit fiddly, but an easy job really. What surprised me was that I could undo all of the screws- there was nothing to indicate that it had ever been apart before and I fully expected for something the strip or break. Cheers, Fraze.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »

Cannot be done without removing the 1/4 window from the door frame . Follow steps in manual.  I had both 1/4 windows removed & refitted in 2 hours today on my ute.  old-blu.

Wow. If Formula One cars had flipper windows you could get a job on the pit crew, Kevin Smiley

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: