FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Small Block Chev Vin body style code  (Read 6306 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »

Hi

I am having trouble finding any online info about McKinnon stamps for the vin numbers. I would like to know if this number 3 would have been stamped here when it was assigned to a vehicle or whether my suspicion that this is a replacement or crate type motor in its day, hence why I can't find a 93 body style. It's a Feb 1967 327 assembled block from Mckinnons. I'm just not familiar with such a small vin.

I thought I would ask here first because I don't really use other forums but if anyone knows who would be best to contact, would be much appreciated.

It had blue valve covers which seems a bit strange. It's an L30. Vin is:   15393 k0213.

Thanks.

Dean.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:44:19 AM »

Another Canadian block  Grin... no seriously. McKinnons ran the St Catherines, Ontario plant (McKinnon Industries Canada). The 327 in my wagon (K0221FC) rolled out of there on 21st February 1969.

The VIN code format stamped onto most Chev engines consists of divisional identification number, model year, assembly plant designation and vehicle serial or sequence number. In 68-69 model cars, the serial (VIN) number of the car the engine was installed in is stamped next to, or under the engine code ID. Starting in 1970, the serial number is stamped either above the oil filter, somewhere on the block pad (in front of the cylinder head), or on the transmission flange somewhere. Chevrolet issued technical service bulletins to indicate which engines were to recieve a vin stamp, so who knows what could have happend (or not happened).
VIN code format Example: 13N100001
(1 = Chevrolet, 3 = 1973, N = Norwood, 100001 = Production sequence of vehicle VIN)
A = Lakewood   
B = Baltimore   
C = Lansing (B)   
D = Doraville    
E = Linden   
F = Flint (Chevy)   
G = Framingham   
H = Flint (Buick)   
J = Janesville
K = Leeds or Kosai    
L = Van Nuys   
M = Lansing   
N = Norwood   
P = Pontiac (Pontiac)
Q = Detriot
R = Arlington
S = St. Louis or Ramos Arizpe   
T = Tarrytown   
U = Hamtramck      
V= Pontiac (GMC)      
W = Willow Run
X = Fairfax   
Y=Wilmington   
Z = Fremont   
0 GM Truck Pontiac
1 = Wentzville or Oshawa #2
2 = Moraine (T&B) or St. Therese
3 = St. Eustache or Detroit (T&B)   
4 = Orion or Scarborough
5 = Bowling Green or London
6 = Oklahoma City
7 = Lordstown
8 = Shreveport or Fujisawa (Japan) Luv
9 = Detroit (Cadillac) or Oshawa #1

Cheers,
Harv
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »

There's usually letters tacked on to tell where is came from. I reckon I won't be able to work this one out. The 53 checks out to a biscayne impala I found last night but I can't see a body style mateching the 93. I went over the c10 decoders and numbers and its not a truck motor. Just need to know which biscanye body style it was. Not sure why the 3 is different. I suppose my question now is, were there any codes specific to Australia that weren't used in Canada. Thanks Harv.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

Hey Harv I have not been able to find any vehicle with a partial vin or body style 15393. The second part is just the build date. There is a 153 impala that's a 1957 model but this block is a 1967 with 3903352 block. So now I'm trying to work out if it's a replacement engine. After looking now for ages, I still cannot find a vin number without letters starting with 15393. Do you know of anyone who might know how they assigned replacement type engines? Or see in the pic there's a 3 that looks like a later stamp. You know how they stamped Grey's different sometimes etc, I wonder if the 3 has a local authority meaning. I think the vin looks original.

Deano

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

Chev really got it's act together on VINs in 1970. Anything before that is a little hit and miss.

Cheers,
Harv
Ole

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

Deano, why are you so interested in what the motor came out of? You already know the year of manufacture and what models that type of 327 was fitted to during that year. It's not like you are putting it into a numbers matching restoration or the like. I, like yourself, am fitting a small journal 327 into my FC, and whatever the motor came out of is irrelevant to my project. Each to their own I guess, I'm just curious as to your obsession. Regards Ole.

Adelaide SA
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »

Sorry haven't had time to come on much. I have a guy at the local car club that has an impala of same year and his original motor was that block. Found out after I got it and then got curious cos it's a very small number.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: