FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 01:55:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Classic car fumes  (Read 3416 times)
roachy

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »

Hi everyone  went cruising on weekend, clocked up couple hundred miles plenty of freeway cruising only issue was the wife complained of a headache and the smell of fumes on her clothes by the end of the day other than that she went like a dream.
Mmmmm should have windows down more , but was bit cool
Guessing fumes maybe from crank case breather pipe on the old grey and perfectly normal experience on the long runs
Cheers living the dream Roachy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »

Car should not smell excessively of fumes, check for open holes on the firewall or floor. Even a bolt hole can let in a lot of engine bay gasses

Ken
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
+1

Hi Roachy, Check holes from boot area also eg: rust in lower quarters, boot floor and boot lid seal. Sounds like your sucking exhaust fumes through the back seat when window is opened even slightly.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »

Funny Story almost:
years (many years) ago I had an FJ Panel van that we used to go surfing and it fumed terribly. So I hooked a hose on the breather pipe and ran it back under the car past the drivers door. We decided to head of to the beach with a few of my mates with the tailgate up, as you do. The mates in the back got quieter and quieter untill I realized I was gassing them. Cut the trip short, shut the tailgate and had to rebuild the motor before any one would ride with me again.

regards

Weddo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: