FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:54:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: All Holden Day ,Vic 2004  (Read 3618 times)
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2003, 09:14:28 AM »

I've heard there wont be an All Holden Day in Victoria next year.Any one heard anything about this.

Regards Geoff
mcl1959
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 08:33:26 AM »

This is correct - as discussed at our last meeting, apparently the FB/EK committee are spending too much time on the AHD rather than running the club.
Although their AGM is coming up and I read the Pres report which seems to indicate that depending upon who is elected as to whether this decision stands or not.

Will be interested to see developments.......

Ken
NascoHunter
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 06:53:24 AM »

Hi Geoff.
Yes, Ken is right in what he's saying - the FB/EK club are having an 18 month break from staging the AHD.  The next one is planned for January 2005.  They had their AGM and the majority of the committee was re-elected and decided the club would benefit from an 18 month break from AHD.  The AHD takes approx 6 months and many man hours to organise, and is very draining on club resources.  
Tony Galea
(NascoHunter)
Steve Nowland
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 11:03:19 AM »

Yes - can relate to that.

Shame, these events are growing out of control, and there is huge pressure NOT to do it - Insurance, Support (Although my two helpers from FE/FC are immune from that comment - thanks W & G!!!) and the physical difficulties - like trying to run a job at the same time as recieving phone calls every 15 minutes (You think I'm exaggerating!?!?!?!)

Yes I can relate to Victoria's dilema, but AHD NSW is here to stay....
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 02:01:52 AM »

Steve,

I think you've hit the problem and the solution right on the head there.  Just as the AHD nearly killed the 48-FJ Club in NSW here a few years back, it appears to be threatening to do the same to the FB-EK Vic Club.

The event is too big for one club to organise year after year.  It takes its toll on the club committee through the sheer workload, and the club itself withers on the vine because of all the attention being put into this one event.

I've never been to the Vic AHD, only heard glowing reports of it, but I think the FB-EK Club need to hand control over to an independent organisation whose sole responsibility is the AHD so they (the Vic Club) can get on with running their club, and/or the responsibility for organising the event should be rotated between a number of clubs (a la our Nats), so the strain on the club's resources is for 18 months or so every 10 years or something.

In NSW - and Steve can correct me here on details - the AHD is run by the All Holden Day Ltd.  It is made up of an executive committee and about a dozen extra members, who have been elected or volunteered from various NSW clubs to be part of the organising committee.  Some or all (I'm not sure) of the AHD Ltd Executive Committee also hold Executive positions with other clubs, but they're not all from one club, if you can see what I mean.

Additionally, there is a single club named as host of the event for the year, whose responsibility it is to ensure the gate is manned, tickets are sold, situations are dealt with etc "on the day".  The host club is rewarded financially for this by the AHD, FWIW.

I think it's a good model, and I'm sure Steve would be only too happy to discuss the finer details with anyone from the FB-EK Club or elsewhere.  In about 4 weeks, since the NSW AHD is on August 3rd Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
HR186S4speed225

ex-HRDivivan... new project now !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 09:57:22 AM »

Hi All,
       I too am stunned that Victoria's primo Holden event is to be put on hold, but having been part to the planning committee during my time with the club, the event has become far more intense than anybody can imagine.
   ONe Club might be the organiser, but they involve at least 2 other Clubs for logistics, parking, $$$ at the gate etc.   I feel they've done it best.
   With all due respect to Steve and the NSW AHDay planners when I went there in 2000 I found little control over the display of vehicles and the lack of official judges somewhat disconcerting.
   I have not attended the NSW AHDay since so I cannot comment on their events progress since then, but I hope it has evolved and improved.
   Here's hoping that a refreshed and new committee can make the 2005 Vic AHDay the best ever.
Gary Thorpe
President, HD HR Holden Club of Vic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: