FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 03:18:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Practical Guidance  (Read 1554 times)
Linda Jay
« on: June 08, 2003, 04:29:54 AM »

Hello,
I searched for ages and then eventually (in November)bought a much dreamed about FC Holden Station Wagon. It has had alot of conversions, and has the modification plates to match, but I reckon the guy who sold it to me must be having a bit of a laugh, as I have already paid a mechanic to fix and replace many of those modified bits. It has a 179 motor, HR front and rear end, and the gears are now floorshift. I am a very practical kinda girl (fixing things is a part of my jobslkills) however, I dont know what I am doing when it comes to car stuff. This is my first car. I need a bit of guidance, and then I am more than happy to get greasy and do it myself.
I am based in Brisbane, but travel around alot for work, hence wanting to know how to do things myself. Only yesterday I arrived in Sydney, having driven the FC from Brisbane. So, she mostly goes OK, but there are a few things I need to look at now. Firstly, my gearbox is leaking oil, from the seals at both ends. I have recently had the gearbox rebuilt. I tried just tightening the screws and bolts at each end, but it still leaks, I was thinking that maybe the gaskets needed replacing there. But, shouldnt they have done that when they rebuilt the gearbox? I have lost alot of gearbox oil on the journey, and dont want to drive it til I have fixed the seals, and refilled the oil. Is replacing these seals easy, or do I have to take it in to see anothetr mechanic. Is there anyone out there, who is prepared to teach me a few things about working on my car? I keep feeling like I am getting ripped off, when I could be doing stuff myself.
I will be in Sydney until the 22nd of July. I am staying in Bondi. I have the next few days off to work on the car, if only I knew what I was doing, so anyone who is able to help me, please ring or text me on 0409664074 or email me at tawnyfrog@hotmail.com  
craiga
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 08:29:37 AM »

Linda,

Replacing the rear seal of the gearbox is fairly straight forward and only requires removal of the tailshaft to gain access to the seal on most gearboxes (you didn't say exactly what type you have). The leak from the front is more likely the rear mainseal in the engine. This seal is at the rear of the sump and will require the sump to be removed, or at least lowered, for replacement. It can sometimes be done without removing the engine but most times it's easier to remove the thing and do it properly.

If you need someone impartial to have a look at it, come to the NSW Club meeting this Tuesday. Meetings are at Holyroyd (Paramatta way) and you would get all the help and information you need.

Alternately give a good mechanic a visit.

You can try

Dennis Booth
Phone: 9798 8521,
Frederick Street Ashfield
(250m or so up the road from the start of Georges River Road, heading towards Canterbury).

He's done good work for a number of NSW members, has access to parts, and will be interested in helping you properly.

Good Luck,

Craig.
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 08:50:50 AM »

Hi Linda
To replace the rear seal the tailshaft has to be removed. Then the seal can be levered out, clean around where seal was, put a thin smear of clean greese around inside ring of seal and gentley tap new seal in. To replace seal in selector shaft remove linkage rod ,undo 9/16" nut, lever off selector and cover plate, with a thin screwdriver lever out seal. If they have replaced the seal it will be a cork seal, original seals where rubber. Clean where seal was put grease on seal and then fit it, it should push in pretty easily. There are no seals in the front of the box it has like a screw affect in the front shaft, if a lot of oil is coming out of the front it means that they did not seal the whelch plugs that cover the cluster shaft. This means the gearbox has to come out to seal the plugs. If you are unsure of doing the job yourself or you need help please give me a ring on MOB 0405104821 or 47512252 I live in the Blue Moutains just out of Sydney    Cheers Al    

See ya
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: