FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 01:52:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: oil pump  (Read 1986 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »

Hello everyone Grin
Just a bit of advice please.
The fellow doing up my wagon engine has suggested that I get a new oil pump.
I have gathered from previous threads that these are not that easy to come by.
What have people been doing recently?Huh Can you still get parts for them Huh
Any help appreciated as usual
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
+1

Nick,

I went through this one recently. From my understanding, grey motor oil pumps are no longer available as either complete units or overhaul kits. NOS kits are like rockinghorse poo. The red motor oil pump overhaul kits however are available, and with some modification can be used to service a grey motor oil pump. This was apparently covered recently in the NSW FB/EK club newsletter - contact Sam Princi (username samprinci on the FB/EK forum) for more details.

I'm guessing that the rebuilder is assuming parts are easy to find (they once were), and is reccomending a replacement as good practice. I'd suggest respectfully challenging the engine rebuilder as to which of the following are out of spec on the pump - they are all listed in the manual:
a) Check that the drive shaft is tightly pressed in the gear so that there is a distance of 4.709" to 4.739" from upper end of shaft to lower end of gear
b) Check for looseness between shaft and housing. If wear is apparent, the shaft and/or housing must be replaced.
c) Install the driven gear (chamfered end inwards) and check the clearance between the gears and the housing. This clearance must be within the range 0.003" to 0.008".
d) Check for clearance between the gears and the cover by using a steel straight edge. This clearance should be 0.003" to 0.010".
e) Check the gear back lash. This should be within the range of 0.005 in. to 0.010".
f) Check the oil pressure relief valve in bore of cover assembly. It should be a free fit throughout the length of the bore in the cover with a minimum of clearance.
g) Check the relief valve spring to see that it has not collapsed, worn on its side or broken. The free length of the spring should be approximately 2.25" The length of the spring under a load of 7.00 ± 0.40 lbs. should be 1 3/8".

Cheers,
Harv.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »

Nick, if you can work out which bits you need I've got an assortment of pumps here. All used.

Colin.

colt
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »

We sold three of these NOS kits at our last auction - so I would say they are not quite that hard to find yet Shocked

Ken
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »

Thanks everyone.. I think I have it sorted at the moment... Thanks for the info Harv and I will pass it on to my mechanic if other option fails.
Colt Thanks too. Not closing any doors but hopefully can pick up NOS.
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: