FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:24:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: RE Special badges  (Read 2361 times)
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »

Hi All

Its a long shot but here goes chasing a mint pair of Special badges for the rear quarters on my FC sedan
Surelly theres a harry hoarder who has one or a pair they must be mint condition or non pitted for re chrome.

Please PM me with cost i will be sitting down when i get your e mail...

Pete

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »

Anyone.. .

Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »

Rares did do them, I don't know if they still.

John

Better in Green
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »

Pete, As Maco mentions Rares did do these, I'm pretty sure they still do the shield triangle badge part.

However, the actual Special script part they stopped doing because the pins on the back didn't line up with the holes in the body.

It's a shame really because the originals are expensive to get re-chromed because of the die cast metal and they are getting harder to find

Maybe Ken McLean could ask Rares to consider re doing them with the pins removed and a modern sticky back ? as the shield part goes over the top and locates and secures the script part anyway

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/SearchPage.aspx?type=partsfinder&pno=0&brand=HOLDEN&model=FE-FC+HOLDEN&car=11B&productgroup=BADGES

Regards, Gary
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:05:46 AM »

I did have a rares one years ago but as you said they dont line up wouldnt worry me now doing a full build i would have changed them but i sold them years ago.
Surelly its not that hard to do them in the right position ?
They must have made a mould off something to get the holes they had ?
Maybe i should find someone to cast them in brass and get them chromed im not really concerned about the cost its more the finding a set thats not pitted.

Thanks for the replies.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »

There are 2 problems with these (probably more but I'll stay with 2)
First - the length of these makes them really hard to cast - it cools before running all the way into the mould
Second - the slender nature of the cast means that shrinkage during cooling changes the position of the pins - you have to make dozens of moulds in order to get the pins exactly right and even then cooling has to be exactly consistent every time for the pins to be right.
These are possibly the hardest badge to make across the whole Holden range and received numerous complaints on quality when they were available - Hence withdrawn.

I have spoken to them about a sticky back or even doing them in chromed plastic - The concensus is that people complain if they are not like the originals
A member of the FB EK club once made (I think) the "Holden" badge on the boot of the FB in brass - It was very expensive and did not get many sales.

Ken
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

Im going to talk to the company i bought my router from.
 its full CNC multicam i should be able to  cut them out in one  hit but im excellent at S/S engraving and a bit of polycarbonate but have  not done 2d drawing..

I have some 12mm brass that were old gland plates from the pit might try a bit i would drill and tap holes for the studs i think and use short bolts.

Might look into it.

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: