FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 06, 2024, 05:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel alignment  (Read 2506 times)
OldGMHolden
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

G'day all,

Can anybody help me with a wheel alignment query?
I have a '59 FC which has been lowered 50 mm with new springs, bigger sway bar, and radials on 6" rims (standard king-pins).
My local wheel alignment bloke feels that the standard settings for wheel alignment should be OK, as per the workshop manual.
I remember reading some years ago that the toe-in needs to be altered when fitting radials to a car which normally had cross-plies, but I can't remember the exact details.
I also think I read that other adjustments may be needed due to the lowering.
Do any members have experience or thoughts on the matter?
C'mon you Gurus!!

Cheers,
Gaz.
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »

I'll have to follow the answers to this one, I can't see how radials can affect a wheel alignment. All the old cars I've had (lost count) would have had crossplys as original equipment, and usually its the first thing I change is to go to radials and I always have had alignments done at the same time without a problem.

If you want a challenge try driving with radials on the front and crossplys on the back, I did this once when I was young and broke (apprentice wages in the seventies) so I thought I'd get them as I could afford them. Couldn't drive the bloody car until I could afford radials for the back Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Mick Wink

OldGMHolden
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »

G'day all,
I found the article which I thought recommended different alignment settings for radials, and I stand corrected.
I can only attribute this to Ol'timers Disease.
However, it DID say that realignment would be required in all cases of a (old Holden) car being lowered, as there would certainly be changes to the geometry due to the unequal length wishbones now resting at new angles.
Cheers,
Gaz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: