FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 07, 2024, 11:01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Commodore rims  (Read 12235 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »

G'day all, I've just been offered a set of mags off a VS commodore but I'm not sure about the offset situation, I'll be running a HR front with VL discs and calipers on adaptors and a cut down VL diff, anyone got any idea if they will fit or am i "just dreaming".
       Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:27 PM »

Are they standard 14 inch rims?  I think they will hit the tie rod ends if they are only 14 inch rims.
You would need 16 inch rims for clearance.

Ken
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »

Thanks Ken, the tyres are 205 x 15, I noticed that HK steering arms have a slightly different offset, would that fix the problem?
                 Pedro

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »

Pedro if they only just hit the tyre rodend you can space the steering arm off from the stub Axel up to 12mm and not upset the Ackerman to much ......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »

Thanks Mark, that's a very usefull peice of information, no way would I have thought they would allow 12mm, 10mm on the front and 12 on the back would kick it out even more.
             Pedro

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »

Thanks Mark, that's a very usefull peice of information, no way would I have thought they would allow 12mm, 10mm on the front and 12 on the back would kick it out even more.
             Pedro
If you try that the spacers will have to be milled at the correct angle to get it to sit flat ....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »

If you try that the spacers will have to be milled at the correct angle to get it to sit flat ....FC427.....

I've got an angle grinder Wink Grin Grin, hopefully I won't have to go that far I was just speculating Roll Eyes
              Pedro

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »

Pedro have you fitted the Commodore rotors and tried the wheels  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh.......FC427

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »

hi pedro, when i used the standard 15x6 commy chaser rims to mine they did fit with the only problem being the rim/tyre would only just clear the upper ball joint nipple by about 3 mm. if i was to stay with commodore rims i was going to have to get the front offset changed.
the rims you have may be a little different if they are aftermarket mags

good luck
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »

Pedro have you fitted the Commodore rotors and tried the wheels      .......FC427

Duh, would have been smarter of me to try that before i pulled the front end to bits wouldn't it Roll Eyes, I'll have to wait till i get the new ball joints now,I could have sworn i put this reply up a few days ago, maybe it was when the site got hacked.

hi pedro, when i used the standard 15x6 commy chaser rims to mine they did fit with the only problem being the rim/tyre would only just clear the upper ball joint nipple by about 3 mm. if i was to stay with commodore rims i was going to have to get the front offset changed.
the rims you have may be a little different if they are aftermarket mags

Are the chaser rims you are talking about also called pursuit rims Dean or was i just given a bum steer with the name, the ones i got with the c'dore look like normal rims but have small holes all around the outside, they look a bit wider than 6" and are fitted with 205 x 65 tyres Huh, I like the look of them better than the mags myself, I'll just have to be patient and wait to see if they fit though.
              Pedro

F4+
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

Are the chaser rims you are talking about also called pursuit rims Dean or was i just given a bum steer with the name, the ones i got with the c'dore look like normal rims but have small holes all around the outside, they look a bit wider than 6" and are fitted with 205 x 65 tyres , I like the look of them better than the mags myself, I'll just have to be patient and wait to see if they fit though.

the one and the same pedro, there should be the size marked on the rim 15x6JJ or similar. there are apparently 6 and 7 inch rims. from what i have been told (true or not Huh ) the 7 inch rims were fitted to utes?

in standard offset the commy rims scrubbed on the inside wheel well on the rear ( hr spec width diff ) which is why i moved the wheel centre in 10mm i could then run 235x50x15 rubber. your 65 series may be a bit tall plus it will be over the original rolling height. with the 50's the rolling height is very close to the standard.
the front could do with approx 5-8mm change aswell but by doing this it could throw the wheel track out.

i went through the same problem you are facing mate.
( i still have the rims with very good rubber, but might need them to sneak over pits if car is ready for rego by nats. if not the rims/tyres are yours, just got to get them up to you)

cheers
dean

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »

im running walkinshaw rims as i had tie rod clerance issues and top ball joint issues i ran a centura diff and it was perfect width running commodore discs and re drilled axles  chaser rims  could be used if you found new old stock ball joints they are flat arent they the old riveted ones i suppose you could use short steering arms like torana but might upset geometry im thinking of going the pat gardener front end now for so many benefits on my conversion

jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »

Pedro,
the commodore ute rims (they've got 'ute' stamped on them) in 15 x 6 have (I think  Huh) thicker steel centres and approx 1/4" more offset out than the sedan/wagon 15 x 6" rims. This could be important if you've got clearance problems. I had clearance probs on my HK ute (HQ brakes) with standard 15 x 6 commo sedan rims - fixed by fitting ute rims. Maybe someone else can verify this??
cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 07:54:38 AM »

jack is on the money there pedro, i knew there was a difference with the ute rims.
these could get you out of trouble.

dean

tuffute

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »

VQ-VP IRS rims are different offset also check the stamp near the valve think it is 26p as opposed to standard rim which is 43p
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »

i went through the same problem you are facing mate.
( i still have the rims with very good rubber, but might need them to sneak over pits if car is ready for rego by nats. if not the rims/tyres are yours, just got to get them up to you)

That's very decent of you Dean, hopefully the ones i have are are going to fit but the way everything else has gone so far I'm not expecting it, if not let me know what you want for the rims when you have finished with them.

Thanks again for the input guys
I have four rims with  7.00  jx  X 15       22  4  30    43p  around the valve and GM  hs  46 in the centre

and one rim with  lw bj150 X 15       22  1  95    43p           "                   GM  hs  72      "

The 7 x 15 I can understand but the rest is gibberish to me.
                          Pedro

F4+
tuffute

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »

standard 15" rims are 6" "interceptor" rims are 7".ute rims have ute stamped near the wheel nuts as someone else said,then there are the vp &vq irs rims that run a different offset to standard interceptors which are the ones that have 26p near the valve,so if u have clearance issues u may try to get the 26p interceptor rim and try that on,hope that helps Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: