FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:21:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: metal parts 'warehousing'  (Read 2945 times)
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »

What is the best way to 'put to sleep' for a year or so my collection of de-rusted (thank you Mr Molasses) metal FE parts?
I will be tied up doing body repairs for about a year (at least) and don't fancy seeing all the surface rust returning over that timeframe.
I don't particularly want to paint them (those that are to be painted, that is) yet.
Coating in WD40 or the like, seems messy and short term.
Any ideas?

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2025?
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:02:47 PM »

Really the only way is to not touch them or repair and at least prime them to keep them rust free and even then you may get some surface rust if the conditions are not right.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »

I use a clear brush or spray on sealer that will last that time frame easy. simple to remove just wipe it with a thinners rag, no mess easy to use ask your local sand blaster thats where I get mine from $20 a litre enough to do a whole car .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »

Thanks for those suggestions guys, I like the sound of the clear sealer option Wink- any brand name I should be asking for?
(I suppose Auto paint retailers will know what I'm after eh)

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2025?
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »

I have not been able to buy it from any paint suppliers for over 20 years it use to be called RUST-IN-OIDE or something like that,, thats why I get it from the sand blaster but who knows Huh? .........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ofc304

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »

get a spray can of zinc spray or weld through primer will come off with prepsol- wax & grease remover ;)glenn
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:37:14 PM by stinky » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: