FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:21:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Valve Stem Oil Seals  (Read 1831 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »

Hi All,

I am hoping to replace the valve stem seals in my grey motor. I have used the "O"ring type in the past. Anyway I have noiced that you can also get Teflon Valve Stem Seals as well (considerably more expensive).

My questions are "Whats the difference between the standard seals and these teflon ones other than the price?" and "Has anyone used them - what are your thoughts?"

Thanks once again in anticipation of your advice and knowledge.

Rod
kelnic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »

to use teflon valve stem seals you have to get the top of the valve guides machined to suit the seals. they are a push on type seal that have a spring collar around the base of the seal that lock into a groove around valve guide and another spring type collar that keeps the tension around the valve stem.an being teflon the seals will not detirate like the o-ring does in time. i havnt used teflon seals on my engines but i have machined the guides and fitted them to customers cylinder heads/race motors before and they have had no problems.personly i wouldnt bother trying to use them as the o-ring type was ok and you would have to remove your head and get it reconditioned to do it properly

evanston, south oz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: