FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 12:44:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WHEEL SPACERS  (Read 3340 times)
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:14 AM »

I think we all know that wheel spacers are a no no. does any one know if a 8mm thick spacer was welded to the brake drum if it still would be considered a wheel spacer,or is it now a part of the brake drum and would it still place the extra stress on the wheel studs whitch are [1/2'' just for referance] I was told that in some cases it is ok to weld a spacer to the rim , has anyone herd that Huh What do you know             THANKS FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »

Hey Fc427,

After looking through the Code of Practice

"the fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer"

I think a welded spacer on a brake drum would still be technically a spacer according to this definition.  My guess is spacing your wheel 8mm will also move your stress point out 8mm. 

HTH

Ed

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »

From experience you can attach the spacer to a mag rim permanently and this is OK as long as the wheel nuts are longer to compensate. This is the only way that they are legal as far as I know.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »

Thanks  Ken by permanently do you mean welding or as you would know two clean flat  aluminum surfaces super glued to gether with loctite  or Three bond super glue would be [quite permanent] Huh?? almost impossible to separate  what do you think FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:52:05 PM »

WE have drilled and tapped with 4 allen head screws each spacer, as well as glue.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »

Thanks Ken I am going out to the lathe to spin some up, hope I have some stock thats thick enough for the job FC427 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: