FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 05:30:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: V8 Engine Conversion to my FC  (Read 6933 times)
RIZ007

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »

I would like to know if anyone knows what I need to do to put a chev small block into my FC eg: what parts would be suitable? brake parts, diffs etc   Grin

👀
Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »

Well you will have a lot of work to do Grin The best thing is to go for a ford nine inch which will have to  be shortend as for brakes an hq set up will be needed  the front end will have to be changed  Grin the best thing to do is find a good engineer because with out one of these rego will be a night mare

Cheers Damo58

Iam good just ask me Smiley
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:51:52 PM »

hey riz i have a holden 308 in my fc plus im doing another one at the moment but a chev motor should need similar upgrades im assuming plus you will want to check with your state(im in qld)
as to what size motor your actually allowed! power to weight is usually a 5ltr max or in chev torems thats a 305 or a 307 ! but basically you will need disc brakes on the front a dual circtuit master cylinder 1 inch in diameter also  a diff upgrade is a must i would go for a commodore disc brake rear get it shortend and it will be strong as you would need the front end will need to be hr so you can change to hq disc and stub axles and calipers plus you will need a steering rack conversion i would personally steer away from fornt mounted rack conversions as they produce too much bump steer for my liking i have a rear mounted one in mine shortended commodore rack i drive it every day and its beautiful to drive turning circle is not as good as original steering box but thats to be expected but its a pleasure to drive any further help dont hesitate to ask!
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »

Hey Riz,

There are a mountain of different set ups you can use, I have VT commodore right through mine with exception to the VN rear end and HR front end. I used the VT booster and pedal assembly as they fitted straight in and went to Hoppers stoppers to get the VT calipers and rotors fitted to HR stubs. The VN rear has the matched calipers and rotors so engineering was not a problem. There is some great pics of a McDonald bros conversion on an Fc Sedan on this site... This is something I really want to do to my next project. Rack and pinion I have a Hadfield set up which is basically useless to me and I have to change it. Am looking at Rods Racks in QLD which I have heard are very good to deal with. Depending on how far you want to go I then used the VT radiator and cut it down, mounted to the Vt thermofans, no cooling problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps a little with the running gear set up, Ed will probably be able to help you with the V8 side as he has just recently finished his (nearly)... Keeps pulling it apart again!!

Cheers
Jason.  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »

Ed will probably be able to help you with the V8 side as he has just recently finished his (nearly)... Keeps pulling it apart again!!

Cheers
Jason.  Grin

heh heh heh.. i must have Attention Deficit Disorder...  I drove it today... to the auto electricians. Blew the diode array in the alternator.

V8 conversion.. hellish but fun, I cant really add more to what's already said, but Jason definitely got his conversion done right the first time using a donor car such as a VT comm.

I stuffed about and took "cheaper" options which ended up being a more expensive and time consuming way to do things.

starting with a 253 / 5 speed then 308 TH400 and now finally 304/ T700.  why didnt i just start off with that?? 

it's all in the planning... plan well and get yourself a good engineer then life will be easy. Don't forget a pinch of commitment and a fistful of desire.

Any questions ask away.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: