FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 07:21:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine options  (Read 4627 times)
GMB-58FC

Model: FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »

Ok so i blew a head gasket in the old girl on Saturday night so the engine change over is going to take place sooner rather than later LOL.

I have a few options and wondering what you guys reckon which way to go from a "buyers" perspective would be???

1) Rebuild 186 in the keeping it basically stock just a freshen up and the extractors and carb thats already on it.

2) Order gasket kit for the hot 186 i was going to build which will have: multi key timing gear, yella terra head (custom grinding Grin ) stage 2 cam, machined and balanced.  Still deciding on what carbs to run at the moment but not a huge issue.

3) Have a stock 179 complete, running that could drop in the old girl in an hour or two and have it running.

3) Worked 202 (red motor) with yella terra head, rolla rockers, triples 45s, stage 3 cam (currently larger though so have to replace) will pull down to machine, balance and fit new cam so will have fresh gasket kit put through and a few other little mods.

Suggestions, comments, feedback appreciated as i said im looking at if i was to buy the car i know what i would want but figured most people these days are looking for something that is "stock"

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »

hmm i dont see the dilemma??

i'd put a hot 186 into it.

you can still give it a "stock" look on the outside.

but why???

the chances are somebody who wants a stock car wouldnt be interested in a red equipped car anyhow.

maybe put up a poll?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »

I would go with option 2
Order gasket kit for the hot 186 i was going to build which will have: multi key timing gear, yella terra head (custom grinding  ) stage 2 cam, machined and balanced.  Still deciding on what carbs to run at the moment but not a huge issue.

and while I was building that engine I would use option 3 so I could still drive my car around

Have a stock 179 complete, running that could drop in the old girl in an hour or two and have it running.

This way you have the best of both world.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
craiga
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »

3) Worked 202 (red motor) with yella terra head, rolla rockers, triples 45s, stage 3 cam (currently larger though so have to replace) will pull down to machine, balance and fit new cam so will have fresh gasket kit put through and a few other little mods.

Don't remove the big cam, and put this engine in, leave the stock tyres on, and party hard.  Grin

GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:47:30 PM »

hmm i dont see the dilemma??

i'd put a hot 186 into it.

you can still give it a "stock" look on the outside.

but why???

the chances are somebody who wants a stock car wouldnt be interested in a red equipped car anyhow.

maybe put up a poll?

Cheers

Ed

Hear what your saying Ed and thats how i feel myself.

I would go with option 2
Order gasket kit for the hot 186 i was going to build which will have: multi key timing gear, yella terra head (custom grinding  ) stage 2 cam, machined and balanced.  Still deciding on what carbs to run at the moment but not a huge issue.

and while I was building that engine I would use option 3 so I could still drive my car around

Have a stock 179 complete, running that could drop in the old girl in an hour or two and have it running.

This way you have the best of both world.

Cheers Jim

Only problem with that Jim is it would take me the same amount of time to build the 186 as it would to change the 179 into the old girl LOL.

Don't remove the big cam, and put this engine in, leave the stock tyres on, and party hard.  Grin

The engine was built for a race car and is far from usable on the street, specially in the FC.

It would get a few heads turning though im sure!!!

I think i will stick with building the 186 and get that rocking in there and while im at it finish the 308 rear and bolt the 5speed up Grin

Thanks for the replies guys

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
funkafide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

What about option 5??
Sell the 179 to me for my project.. Also looking for a 3 spd column shift and box, front and rear bench seats, hr disk front end, etc...
 Smiley
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 08:41:39 PM »

What about option 5??
Sell the 179 to me for my project.. Also looking for a 3 spd column shift and box, front and rear bench seats, hr disk front end, etc...
 Smiley

I have another complete 179 (have to check on clutch though) that will be up 4sale along with all the other spares accumulated over the years.

Only 3 speed is the EH original box which is to replace the faulty box in the old mans race car.

I do have a HR disc brake front end that i was thinking of offloading though so will be in touch.

Where abouts are you located funkafide???

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
funkafide

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:06 PM »

Gday Ben.
Steve here.
I'm on the sunny (but presently raining) Gold Coast.
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:03:03 PM »

Gday Ben.
Steve here.
I'm on the sunny (but presently raining) Gold Coast.

Ah well could be a bit of a pain for you to pick it up, im down here on the Apple Isle.

Its currently a cool 6 degree's and been raining for the last few hours LOL.

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
funkafide

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:04:57 PM »

Bugger.
Thanks anyway..will keep searching.
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile