FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 08, 2024, 08:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: CUSTOM RADIATOR INSTALLS  (Read 6657 times)
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »

Just wondering if we could start a thread on different radiator installs with pictures .Motor 308 running a vn crossflow radiator.350 chev running a 4 core hq radiator etc etc.Im in the process of setting up a vn vq crossflow radiator into my fc ute im trying not to have to cut the radiator down .Im using the original style mounts of the commodore so that it will be really easy to service it at a later date.Ill get some pictures up tomorrow so peolpe can see what im trying to acheive .please feel free to comment and if you have done a conversion with a different type of radiator please post some pictures

regards fatboy

fatboy
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »

i've just used HQ types in FB/EK holdens my van and marks ute with no dramas, but i think you have less room and not as good engine bay/radiator support shape in an FC
pulled mine out yesterday only took about 15 minutes
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »

Im just about to walk outside and start cutting up the radiator support panel and make up the brackets will post up some pitures tonight
cheers fatboy

fatboy
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »

good luck Fat,

the HQ rad sits pretty tall in standard trim in an FE/C.  Glenn Russell used an HQ unit and it looked good.

i've cut mine down but as documented elsewhere I havent struck the optimum combination so wont suggest you go down the same path.  On the upside it's only a 20 minute job to take it out.

i saw a car which had the frame modified to allow a radiator to sit lower, cant remember where i saw it now.

good luck

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:03:30 AM »

some pics of the conversion so far

regards fatboy

fatboy
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »

Here's mine, 12cms cut from each side of the support panel and a couple of pieces of 25mm angle iron (yes, overkill) welded in place.
This sits an LC/LJ 6cyl radiator nicely with about 5-10mm clearance off the subframe at the bottom and sits a little proud of the bonnet latch panel at the top.
I do have a large thermo fan installed, but since fitting the correct temp sender I have never had to use it. The motor only ever overheated once on the way to Philip Island sitting waiting to fill up with petrol and the thermo will be removed soon as the thermostat for it constantly leaks.
The cooling system is water and rust inhibitor only, when researching coolants I found that coolant raises the boiling point of the water in the system but is less efficient at transferring heat.
The motor is best described at XU1 spec and I have a trans cooler now fitted in front of the radiator too. A city traffic drive last Friday in 30+ heat saw the temp peak at 210, but generally sits around 180 and goes lower on a cool night's drive.

FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:32:23 AM »

some pictures of marks set up in his ute

fatboy
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »

Thanks for posting the pictures for me FatBoy I will learn how one day . I Had the same thing in copper 4 core  but with the Supercharged motor it could not cope so I had this aluminium one made and it worked great it is bottom rubber mounted on two pins like a Commodore and two stainless steel mounts that are rubber mounted on top there is enough room for an airconditioner condenser in front and also a 16'' electric fan and of course enough room for the serpentine belt that drives the blower air conditioner compressor and every thing else. I have used the same set up on a v8 Chev gen 2 conversion I did  in another members FC  and it works great and the fan turns on and off and temp is stable on 185F. ........FC427........... 

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

Hi Mark,

nice radiator setup, my 4 row is almost exactly that size as I didnt cut the support panel either.

I may need your advice on upgrading mine to something similar, especially if I can do it with minimal re-work.

who made the radiator?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »

Hi ED I have cut the support panel on both sides and have cut the top support that goes across the front and welded a piece of 3mm 20x20 angle back in to strength it all up again. Had a local guy make it up Tony's Make it in Metal the other one is in Joe Locks car was made by Aussie Desert Cooler to my drawing, may still have it will take a look  ........FC427.........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: