FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 08:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: modern oil filter onto grey motor?  (Read 14036 times)
ekspecial

Never late in a V8

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2007, 05:03:38 AM »

Hi all,

Just wondering how I can fit a modern replaceable type oil filter onto a grey motor.

I have seen reference to ac delco filter or ryco filter kits, is this what I would have to look for.

Does anyone have pictures they could post of such a setup.

Cheers,
Daz
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »

There was a Nasco accessory oil filter:

Different versions of this used FRAM or Ryco filters.  However, being a bypass filter it's as close to useless as makes no odds.  Maybe 5% of your oil will actually flow through this setup.

Various people have engineered full-flow oil filtration on grey motors.  John & Alex's "Miss Behavin" race car has this, as does an EK in (IIRC) the FB-EK HCC of NSW.  I don't think it's for the faint of heart though, as it does require drilling the block.

Hope that's some help.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:08:10 AM »

Hey Ret
          Are you sure that the block needs drilling? I know one line fits to the oil temp sender journal but isn't there always a plug near the front of the block that unscrews and lets the other end join straight up to another oil journal?.
   I have two blocks with this setup and thought that all blocks were the same. I figured it was there to access the journal after casting so it could be checked and cleaned out.
       Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:00:56 AM »

It is not necessary to drill the block, the EK mentioned has the line exiting via the side of the sump, however we chose to drill the block as we thought this to be a better option.
In simple terms what needs to be done is to divert the oil from the oil pump through a filter and back into the block. On standard set up, there is a pipe that comes from the pump to the block where it flows into a T, where 1 section goes to the oil switch and the other to the motor. We diverted this flow by routing the pipe out the side of the block, through the filter and back in via the oil switch port. Naturally we blocked off the block at the lower section of the T where the original set up entered.
Here is pics of the EK's setup through the sump. (also has an oil cooler set up)

An FX with an outlet drilled into the block.

Here is our set up.

Regards
Alex

ekspecial

Never late in a V8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »

Excellent info guys, and thanks for posting the pics.

customFC: Are those brackets used to mount the oil filter to the motor all custom made pieces?

Cheers,

Daz
Brad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:58:27 PM »

In custom FC's third pic of  the FX ,  the top right hand corner shows the same type of screw in plug that i'm talking about. Isn't it a direct access to one of the main oil journals and is where the other end of the Ryco filter fits up?
                Brad.

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »

Hey Daz.
The bracket we used is an original, as seen in the diagram RET posted. The filter mount is an aftermarket remote filter mount that can be picked up at speed shops. John welded an adapter to the original bracket to take the remote mount.

Brad.
I believe the set up as you described would work as an original bypass filter and not allow for full flow of oil.

Another aspect that needs to be taken into account is to ensure the type of filter used does not allow the oil to drain from it when motor is turned off.

Regards
Alex

minifcvan
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »

hi daz. ive got a z9 (i know its a f%#d one) fitted to my subframe with hoses going to the block.i will get some photo's tomorrow and i will ask the guy i brought the wagon from where he got it from.cheers mark
Brad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »

Hey Mark.
     Is that a Kwaka z9 Grin. Is it plumbed into the drive line? and if so do you get more horses with it Wink.
     Brad .
  Sorry,  couldn't resist  Smiley.

minifcvan
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 02:20:26 AM »

here is mine

hope this helps.cheers mark

[ Edit by RET: links just that much too long.  I ran them through TinyURL to fix ]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:41:50 AM by ret » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: