FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
August 20, 2024, 05:44:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake & Cable Accelerator Conversion Questions  (Read 7145 times)
folie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2003, 10:43:43 PM »

1 I want to do a cable accelerator conversion to a FC and have looked at using a commodore accelerator pedal Which is the best to use ? or would a HJ/HX pedal assembly be a better option The Rarespare cable conversion pedal kit  will not  fit without major surgery.  
2.What is involved in fitting HQ or similar master cylinder? I have used HR Disc brake master cylinder with a PDR power booster (VH44)  I am running HR drums on the rear ( changed the lines from 1/4 in to 3/16 in with a 9/16 in wheel cylinder)
3. What is involved in fitting HZ or similar booster set up? This would most likely mean modifying cutch master cylinder on FC i.e. it would need to be angled up as with a Torana hydraulic clutch conversion. As I am running a manual
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation
Regads
Bryan

fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 08:44:42 AM »

hey i just did a brake booster install ation which u may find interesting its a vk commodore booster and master cylinder u elongate the main original shaft hole drill two new holes to suit the booster as originals arent on angles and it bolts up to original pedal with pin split pin etc and it works my brakes work fine atm but i havent tested it out ive got no motor in my car im happy to send pix if u need them but u have to make ur own new lines or get sum1 to do it to make sure they r right!
i did my own and am pretty happy with the outcome so far no leaks and they blead up and the booster looks like it was meant to be its just trial and error but with the hq booster its too big and u have to drill too many holes 4 in total and the shaft ends up too long to match up with pedal! cause there is no spacer plate!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 09:29:54 AM »

We do these all the time at work.  Best booster is Gemini mounted to XB master.  The booster is narrow and will allow the clutch master to work OK.
Some drilling and grinding/welding is required.
I used UC Torana in my car but mine is auto.
I also used UC throttle cable which is similar to Commodore.  Little bit of modification to make it fit the floor, but otherwise OK.
Ken
2door350

Model: FE

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 08:42:21 AM »

I have used a holden V8 cable(HQ era i think), dont use a six cylinder coz it is about 6 inches too short!  You can use a gemini pedal or a falcon EF style if you bend the pedal stopper which is no problem. You will only need to bend the stopper if you have a Holley as they need a very long throttle travel.  Making a carb bracket/return spring setup is easy.......
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 08:53:00 AM »

Hey 2door350,
It must have been a V8 cable from a HJ on as HQ had rods and linkages. Wink
Regards ACE Cool
Leon Julien (FCCOOL)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 03:32:47 AM »

I have a VB-VK pedal with a V8 cable from the same models, as the 6 cyl cable wouldnt reach.
its a good idea to get the steel bracket from the floor of the commodore as well as this will make it easier to mount.
Rare spares had a kit for this, I think it was about $90.00 and looked pretty simular to the commodore pedal.

Cheers
Leon (FCCOOL)
http://www.geocities.com/fccool59
FjJohn

Golden oldies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 05:40:08 AM »

Ken I have a Gemini booster but an XB master does not seem to fit.Is there any modification needed to the master for it to fit or is there several types of boosters for Gemini's  Regards FjJohn
                                             date=10/19/03 at 21:29:54]We do these all the time at work.  Best booster is Gemini mounted to XB master.  The booster is narrow and will allow the clutch master to work OK.
Some drilling and grinding/welding is required.
I used UC Torana in my car but mine is auto.
I also used UC throttle cable which is similar to Commodore.  Little bit of modification to make it fit the floor, but otherwise OK.
Ken[/quote]
Cheesy
FjJohn

Golden oldies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:01:22 AM »

Ken, I have just been looking at Hoppers web site and the article on Gemini big brake upgrades has answered my questions. My booster is off the later model with the m/c bolts at an angle . So its back to the wreckers and see if I can find the correct one. Regards John
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:41:29 AM »

I think the master cylinder also needs a slight grind around the lip where it goes into the booster.  You will see what I mean once you try to insert the master cylinder into the booster.  It is also important to have the master cylinder preloaded by the booster pushrod by an amount of 2mm.
Pushrod length is 74.5 mm overall.  I think the last Gemini booster (the one you have) has the correct push rod whilst the earlier ones are a little short.  So you need the correct booster, the later pushrod and a slight grind on the master cylinder.
Ken
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:29:51 PM »

The Rarespare cable conversion pedal kit  will not  fit without major surgery.  

Why? it fit mine??

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: