FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: diff question??  (Read 3153 times)
holdenhead

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a diff that would go in my FC that would get it cruising better on the freeway? It's totally stock but as I live in the outter suburbs of Melbourne anywhere I go It's Freeway or country roads.
I just want to get the rev's down a bit. I dont mind just doing 80k's but when I'm driving on a road that has gravel edges and I have a line of cars behind me it gets a bit frustrating for everyone else as well as myself as I cant keep pulling off the side all the time.  A diff centre would be best as I have just replaced all my brake bits. Any advice would be great.

Cheers Rick
hawk
nsw-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »

Rick get a 3.36 diff centre i have one it is much better on the freeway and still ok around town ,cheers Greg.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:39:23 AM »

Rick,

Agree with Greg, and note if you're running 70 series radials a taller diff will go some way toward rectifying the inaccurate speedo and over-revving problems.

It's more or less a straight swap, although the later diffs have a different universal yoke.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
suziecreamcheese

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 01:55:09 AM »

grey motors are not a very torquey engine the more you move away from factory diff the harder it will be on your engine you will realise this when doing 100ks at lower revs and you try to put your foot down up a hill it just wont happen. cheers andy
Grin
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 04:10:51 AM »

you will realise this when doing 100ks at lower revs and you try to put your foot down up a hill it just wont happen. cheers andy
Grin

doesn't happen anyway Roll Eyes

SCC is right: it's definitely a bit harder on the motor and gearbox getting off the mark and accelerating at speed.  But if you're doing a lot of highway driving, there's much to recommend a change in diff ratio.  And/or a look at tyre profile.  It would amaze you the difference in rolling circumference between a standard 6.40 x 13 cross ply and a 70 series radial.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
holdenhead

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:31:16 PM »

Thanks for your help. Now does anyone have one they want to sell?? I'll put a post and the wanted section and see what can be dug up. I have 80 series radial whitewalls on it. They sould be right i'd think??

Cheers Rick
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:57:14 PM »

gidday Rick

whereabouts are you? I'm in Cockatoo and have a spare 3.36
if you are interested. P.M. me and we can take it from there.

Denis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: