FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 03, 2024, 08:27:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Holden launch pics  (Read 9476 times)
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2004, 01:01:17 PM »

"Shayne" sent me a link to a few photos he came across on the National Archives Site, with a message that there were more similar. Well, when I saw this pic, I almost wet myself with excitement. I immediately recognised this location as Fishermens Bend in front of the Social Centre and thought "Launch pic".

I have never seen any pics taken at the launch of the FC before. I searched around and found even more.

I must thank Shayne for his research, and for bringing these pics to light. My interest in them is so great, I think I might order some prints from NAA.
Whilst following the leads, I also came across some other interesting pics that I will share later. Also some other great shots unearthed by Shayne.
Regards
Alex

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 09:07:33 PM »

hi alex    great photos of a great occasion
 looking forward to seeing others
             cheers trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 09:56:19 PM »

Great photos - the first one is quite unusual.  It's a pity that there's not more detail on the left hand side, as I'm guessing there was a ute and a wagon lined up there.

It's very interesting that the wagon should have a '59 style paint scheme.  I was under the impression that '58 wagons had roof/insert/tailgate all the secondary colour, and that '59 models had just the insert/tailgate.

Maybe this is a one-off, or perhaps there was variation in the way each of the factories did them?  Ken?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 01:05:12 AM »

Another great lot of pics.  I love these original looking pictures cant wait to see more as then come up

MICK
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 01:58:16 AM »

G'day guys...
Great find...!! I don't recall ever seeing FC launch pics before either.... Can't wait to see what else you've found...!!

Any chance of posting "that" link here maybe...??

Cheers
Les.... Wink

Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 03:02:39 AM »

Gday All,
Les, there isn't really a simple way of posting a link here, except to the search page of the National Archives Site.  I'll post it here, and you just type in your own search parameters (eg Holden, and years 1956-1959)

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/PhotoSearchSearch.asp

It is quite tedious to search through the list, and lots of the pics aren't actually shown, only listed.  I've requested that they post a few more on their website, so they may do that.  Perhaps a few more keen people could do the same thing.  The other thing is that a lot of the dates are wrong (they must be dates the records were filed or donated etc) and some descriptions are very vague.  They are receptive to suggestions for improvements though.

I find it interesting to spend an hour or so looking through their collection, and have copied a heap of pix (not just old holdens) along with the Archive numbers for future reference.

Happy searching, it is an excellent site, it just takes a while to find things, bit like fishing around in my shed for car parts!

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 04:07:21 AM »

Hi Shayne & Alex
Thanks for the great Photos and the link. I was in there the other day and found some really great period photo's.

Keep them coming.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 06:21:31 AM »

Hey RET.
I thought the same as you re the wagon and that perhaps it was a later pic. But the models in the pics are the same in 3 of them, so you would have to conclude it is the same day. Interesting, hey!
Regards
Alex

Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »

Hey FC008, speaking of photos , how about posting or emailing me some pics of your car, haven't noticed them on the forum , just love the colour scheme.
                                       Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
craiga
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:14:53 AM »

Wow, well found Shayne, and well followed up Alex.

Wouldn't these be amazing shots in colour! What colour do you think the FC sedan is? Maybe Red?

Great post, thanks a million guys.

Cheers,

Craig.
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 05:31:58 PM »

Another round of fantastic photos alex and co they are quite simply out of this world and so RARE. I have never seen any launch pics at all re the FC range and these are certainly worth the wait. Craig i would guess that the color scheme is red and white or variations of. Ken what do you think? and what is the story with the late model color scheme on the wagon? Good call Richard it is a shame that the first picture is not more panoramic as it would have showed the whole model range. A great post maybe more will turn up on the great archives site.
Brett

Brett Gillard
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 12:18:08 AM »

Very confusing indeed as all my research shows early wagons with the roof in flash colour.
SPECULATION - obviously these are very early cars and it is maybe possible that GMH changed their mind on the wagon colour scheme and only a few early cars were painted this way until the sedan changed in 1959.
I think it was possibly not liked that the 2 colours met without a chrome stripe in between them.

I think the colour is too light for red, I think it is more likely to be the famous (infamous) poo colour - Corsair Tan
Ken
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 11:22:56 PM »

In the "Station Sedan" pic there is a triangular sign with a Holden lion on the wall which i always thought was introduced for a later model Holden. Huh
Does anyone know anything about this sign? Wink
Regards ACE Cool
customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »

Found this engine shot from what I believe to be the same day as the other shots outside the Social Centre.

Regards
Alex

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »

Wonder if the VZ VE series will be viewed in the same way in 50 Years time?

COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 12:23:38 PM »

ha, Roll Eyes
    that's if there new owner's live that long after buying one, as the seat beat's are already in fail Shocked mode.
maybe the series 2 owner's will do it for them once holden correct it. Grin.
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 12:28:58 PM »

whats that thing hidden behind the left hand side bonnet spring in the shot of the engine bay?    Huh Huh

Is it a washer bottle?    Cool Shocked Shocked
customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 01:00:13 PM »

Hey earlee.
Ain't nothin' there but hinge...
Regards
Alex

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 01:15:48 PM »

right - I must be a dickhead!   Cool Shocked Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up