FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 11:16:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: problem with old Holden Apollo (1992)  (Read 4905 times)
sunnymouse

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 07:52:33 AM »

Hey, I found this board while looking for a Holden board, because we (a young family) have a problem and thought maybe somebody can help.

Ok, we have an old Holden Apollo (1992, automatic) and since some days the battery light in the cockpit is lightning while driving sometimes, and sometimes not - the battery is also not charged very well it seems, as we needed a jumpstart today Sad Now the battery is on charger, but I guess there is a problem in the car, can it be a damaged dynamo/generator? I'm just confused, because sometimes the battery light is on and sometimes not, can the generator work sometimes and sometimes not?

And sorry about my english, it's my second language only, hope I made it understandable anyway.

Please if somebody could help us with a hint to avoid the high cost of a car repairer (my husband could change the generator by himself maybe, if it's the generator... he is just not as good with computers Wink )

Thanks in advance for your help, we appreciate everything that helps maybe (where do we get a cheap generator if it's the damaged part btw? we are at the sunshine coast)

Sunny
jimmys57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:27:46 AM »

Hiya Sunnymouse.....sounds like the alternater is playing up,that can cause the problems you decribe.If you arent very good with cars then you really need to see an auto electrician, they can supply and fit an exchange alternator,or at least let you know whats wrong with it. Probably cost you a couple of hundred bucks however........Maybe someone in here knows of a good auto electrician up your way...Cheers Jimmy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:32:31 AM »

I would agree - alternator is the problem.  You could try one from a wreckers as most reputable wreckers will offer a guarantee on parts and this will be cheaper than an auto electrician.

Ken
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:21:49 AM »

;)hey sunny the problem sounds like a alternator as said by the other members,which 7/10 its only the brushes inside that are worn!!its not a hard job to replace these and they only cost about $5 to buy them at a auto elec,but you might need a soldering iron on some models to fit them properly, hope this helps some!!cheers jamie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: